Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL is mad that we don't ask her to babysit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

But, she always asks us to pay her. I am not saying we can't afford it but it does mean an extra $30 per evening we go out. My mom and my sister are always willing to babysit for free (me and my sister babysit for each other). So if I have the choice between taking the kids to my MIL's house and paying her about $30 or taking the kids to my mom's or sister's house (where if I am to be honest, I feel like they get better care) for free, why does she get mad that we don't ask her?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (41-50):
dblhlx
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM
My MIL gets mad at me too but I won't let her watch her because she is a pillhead and an alcoholic.
bren_mom
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:37 PM

That seems kind of crazy.  My mom and sister also watch for free (so does my ex MIL for that matter).  I will usually leave whichever relative watches my kids some money for dinner, or I'll bring dinner, order a pizza or something, because I feel like I should do something, not because they ask.  

Bonnie_
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Just  straight up tell her... when you  stop charging  you  can  start  babysitting.... that YOUR  mother  would  never dream  of charging  to  spend  time  with  her grandkids.

MamaKarrot
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Wow I've never heard of family expecting money for babysitting.  I watch my nephew for free, my sister and parents watch my kids for free.  The only time I send money is if they want to take them out for junk food or something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I wouldn't want or accept money to watch my own grandkids, unless it was a daily thing. Then I may ask for something occasionally.

JulietAngel89
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

wait a second... Your childs grandmother wants to get paid to look after her grandchild??? really??? wow. 

I wouldnt be paying a family member to look after my kid. how silly. 

HistoryMamaX3
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM

That's an easy one... you don't get paid to spend time with your grandchildren. If you want to see them, you do so happily. Otherwise, forget it!

Heck, my in-laws have flown themselves across the country just to baby-sit our kids for the weekend while we attended a wedding. We didn't ask them too, they offered. But they enjoy spending time with them!

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM

If I didn't have my grandkids living with me....I would NEVER EVER even think to ask my DD's to pay me for babysitting MY grandchildren

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Quoting Liastele:

I'd always choose a free relative over a paid relative as well. I want my kids somewhere that they feel loved, instead of a burden I have to pay someone to deal with.

vicki77433
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I can understand her wanting to charge you if she watched your child every day.  Charging to watch your child just for the night is crazy.  My MIL will call us and ask if she can keep the kids whether we're going out or not.  It's sad that your MIL isnt' the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)