Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL is mad that we don't ask her to babysit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

But, she always asks us to pay her. I am not saying we can't afford it but it does mean an extra $30 per evening we go out. My mom and my sister are always willing to babysit for free (me and my sister babysit for each other). So if I have the choice between taking the kids to my MIL's house and paying her about $30 or taking the kids to my mom's or sister's house (where if I am to be honest, I feel like they get better care) for free, why does she get mad that we don't ask her?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (61-64):
poietes
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM
So tell her the truth, that you are not going to pay if you dont have to.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM
The only way I would be okay with it is if the relative wanted money to do something fun.

Like go to the movies but even my parents wouldn't ask for money if it was their idea to take the kids somewhere that cost money...
MamaBear1978
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM
What is her response to this?
I'm not gonna lie I am completely baffled by your mil's logic.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have told her, she thinks that we should want her to watch the kids and so we should be willing to pay her. I reminded her that I have other people who are willing to watch them for free

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

I would tell her why she doesn't get to babysit the kids. Yr mil sounds like a bitch. No one in our families would expect to be paid.

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM

wow i'd be mad if either grandparent asked for money to watch there grandchildren. Obviously I wouldn't ask them in the future. what does she expect? it would be different if it was an everyday thing well you were at work but just for a date night

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)