Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

you're a stepparent. you have to deal with it.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I have a stepson who is six. He doesn't like me. He has a constant bad attitude, but once DH leaves the room it magnifies. He throws tantrums at the slightest request and anytime I try to just sit and talk to him, he clams up and says he doesn't want to talk.

In the past few months, I've really stepped back. I still take him to school and help with homework, but I don't push him to interact with me. DH has tried to bribe him a few times, like if you go give SM a hug I'll give you a piece of candy. I didn't like that at all.

Today, DH and I got in a huge fight. He called me a bitch and said I needed to help out with SS more. I told him that SS didn't like me and I wasn't going to force him to spend time with me. I told him that I know that I'm probably way more irritable, but it's because I'm tired of being the only one that has to deal with his tantrums.

DH said that I was a stepparent and would just have to deal with it. He said that SF is having the same problems with SS and we both needed to just accepted it. He said we shouldn't expected to be liked, but we still needed to do our job and take care of SS.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM
bump
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I would tell him "fine but that means i get full disciplinary privileges and you have to support my punishments" (so long as you dont abuse the kid)
lexiloo714
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Your husband is in the wrong. Your ss doesn't need to like you, but he does need to respect you as an adult
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I guess I feel the same way.

I can't force him to like me, but I don't think I should have to put up with his disrespect. If he's going to be rude, especially if DH is going to allow it, I don't think it's unacceptable for me to leave the room.

Quoting lexiloo714:

Your husband is in the wrong. Your ss doesn't need to like you, but he does need to respect you as an adult
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Your husband gives stepparents a bad name.
JTROX
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM

He doesn't have to like you, but he should respect you.  Dad should make sure that is happening if he wants you more involved.

csxt99
by Jennifer on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Um, no.  The spawn is his, therefore, his responsibilty.  If my husband said shit like that to me, I would do NOTHING for the damn kid!

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Fuck that. Your husband sounds insane. SS is HIS child. Hes the one obligated to care for him, not you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM

You deserve respect. From your step child and your husband.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured