Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's wrong with being a housewife?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you have an issue with the husband being the sole breadwinner and the wife staying home and housekeeping and child rearing?

I am perhaps a little old fashioned and love the fact that my husband works and I stay home and make sure that he comes home to a clean house and a warm meal on the table. I think one of the problems with this country (USA) is that all of the families values have greatly depreciated and morals are at an all time low. Why is it looked down upon to stay home and teach your children and work hard for your family.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Replies (81-90):
jen2150
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Best Job ever! Going on 11 years and I love my life and enjoy my freedom. I look up to other moms though who have made different choices. Parenting your child is a hard job no matter how many other jobs you have and where they are located.
fanciepantz
by Alyssa on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM
3 moms liked this
Nothing is wrong with it, my mom was a sahm never had a job. My dad didn't leave her LOL. My mil.was also a sahm her and her husband are still together as well. I read through this whole thread and I want to say I'm no one's house bitch, I don't just clean house . I don't look down on anyone for their decisions I wish people gave sahms the same respect. I donate time and food to two food banks, I'm room mother for dd's class, team mom for 2 sports, I keep a clean home, raise hounds, help take care of my grandma. My husband worked hard to become an attorney so he could support us. He wanted this lifestyle it works well for us :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM
6 moms liked this
And I think we need to teach our kids that marriage is permanent, and teach them to seek out partners that are worthy of that permanence. So no matter what they choose, their family stays intact.

Quoting kellysp6637:

Honestly, I would not want it for myself nor would I encourage it for my daughter.  I think it leaves women open for a life of dependence and poverty should something or anything go wrong.  Life is full of surprises, both good and bad.

I have seen WAY too many women in their late 40's , 50's, and 60's living in poverty, with no skills or relative, recent job experience in the market to go out and support themselves or their children once their husband has left them or died. 

This is 2013, the courts aren't big on alimony now (unless you're a millionaire and/or possibly a celebrity), so for many women it's a life of stress and poverty.  And because they sacrificed their working years, these women don't have retirement funds in which to even help them in their elderly years...and let's face it, the options for settling down again decrease greatly.....

I think it's a mistake to teach young girls or even encourage them to depend on a man (or woman) for all their basic necessities.  I am teaching mine to be self sufficient......great if she marries and settle down, that's great, BUT it's NOT a means of financial support.

ZombieMeat
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
There is nothing wrong with it, as long as everyone us on board. My husband prefers taking care of my daughter and I and I'm glad that he prefers my daughter being raised by us and being educated at home, by us.
Blackburn3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:11 AM
5 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah right. I know "OMG I work 24 hours a day non stop as a SAHM". Stop the madness. It doesn't take 24 hours to clean asses, wash clothes and watch tv.

Quoting Anonymous:Not all sahms sit at home and watch kiddie shows! There is a lot that goes into maintaining a household and I don't think it should be treated with so much disdain. Why so much hate towards those women?

Quoting Anonymous:

Both parents whould have to support their kids financially. If that same husband left her ass, she'd be hauling him into court to give her money. Women should work just like the men and no sitting home all da and watching kiddie shows is not work

Really ??? That's funny I am a SAHM and I am basically on 24/7. Why ? Because it is just me home with the kids my DH works out of state and only comes home every 8 weeks. I do everything by myself and I mean everything and I have no one here to help. Last week I was so sick I could not get out of bed but had no choice kids to take for school, meals to make and house and bills to pay. God I wish I had time to watch kid shows hell I don't get to watch real adult tv but I will just go back to being a lazy SAHM whom does not have a real job. SMH
Danielle17T
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Ur man obviously want a totally bitch! And of course ur hiding behind anon like a coward

Quoting Anonymous:

sahms are useless. My man wanted a working woman that brings home the bacon just like he does.

Quoting lalaboosh:

Go away, troll.

Quoting Anonymous:

SaHM and WAHM are not real jobs either. Only working outside the home is real. Selling Avon and MaryKay isnt a WAHM ffssmfh.

lesliemck86
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM
It's extremely difficult for most families to live on one income....most people only make 40 or 45,000?? I'm sure people would rather stay home then work their ass off and never see their kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Lazy?

Because sitting in an office typing all day isn't lazy?

Quoting Anonymous:

Your parents didn't raise you to be dependent on someone else, your parents raised you to be independent and to hopefully make something of yourself in this world.

Playing Susie Homemaker is not being independent or making something of yourself in this world, it's being lazy..  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM
2 moms liked this
Why do you equate someones earnings to their value?

Quoting Anonymous:

because it's laziness, go out and get a real job that pays cash.

Quoting Anonymous:

No one said it's 24 hours a day job but why is it less important than those moms who work outside the home?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah right. I know "OMG I work 24 hours a day non stop as a SAHM". Stop the madness. It doesn't take 24 hours to clean asses, wash clothes and watch tv.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not all sahms sit at home and watch kiddie shows! There is a lot that goes into maintaining a household and I don't think it should be treated with so much disdain. Why so much hate towards those women?

Quoting Anonymous:

Both parents whould have to support their kids financially. If that same husband left her ass, she'd be hauling him into court to give her money. Women should work just like the men and no sitting home all da and watching kiddie shows is not work

luvmykidsJC
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM
5 moms liked this

I agree with you. People seem to have decided that the moment their child is in junior high, they are all of the sudden fine to be home alone after school, possibly even watch younger siblings. I am  not saying that this is out only problem with our country but I do wonder what we would be like if we went back to women staying home with the kids was the norm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN