Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's wrong with being a housewife?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you have an issue with the husband being the sole breadwinner and the wife staying home and housekeeping and child rearing?

I am perhaps a little old fashioned and love the fact that my husband works and I stay home and make sure that he comes home to a clean house and a warm meal on the table. I think one of the problems with this country (USA) is that all of the families values have greatly depreciated and morals are at an all time low. Why is it looked down upon to stay home and teach your children and work hard for your family.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Replies (1041-1049):
MomNCombatBoots
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM
To me it's a slap in the face to the women before us who busted their assesto prove they coukd be just as good in the workforce and military ranks as men. My great grandma, grandma, and mom are three of the strongest working women i know. My mom and aunt enlisted when women were still told you cant be as good as a man. My mom abd dad worked great jobs , that they enjoy to this day, throughout my childhood. They made sure one made it to my games snd school stuff. I am raising my daughter to be a strong woman too. When she gets old enough to start dating boys, i will tell her dont settle for a man who is expecting a house slave/baby maker. You find a job that you like and can support yourself on, and one day you will find someone who wants to be your equal, not make your choices for you. Idk bout u ladies, but there are two adults, a five yr old, and two big dogs in my house. And since we both work hard during the week, not just him, i expect help when its cleaning time. And my hubby gets props because he does most of the cooking. I hate it snd wasnt born with the betty crocker gene. In return i do the cleanup. Is it perfectly split 50/50? No. But its close enough! Whati dont like about sahms is when they talk about their kids being better off at home. Sooo, your kid doesnt learn to abide by rules in other places, interact with other kids or adultd, and learn to act socially without you holding their hand? Goodluck with that later on! And also, how much do you think you are teaching your kid aside from basic stuff? Unless you are a no shit degree holding educator. I can put a band aid on, but that doesnt give me doctor skills. And sahms, stop with the "i'm a teacher, doctor, chef" blah blah blah. No, you arent. You do all the same shit us working moms do, and we have less time to do it. Also, yup, my girl goes to school all day. But, i am also,like my fellow workingmoms, a mom "24/7" as you so often put it. Because who gets called when shit hits the fan, or vomit .... sooo, rant over! Working moms, hope i represented us well. All sahms without the martyr complex, thanks for keepin it real. P.s.~ i was a sahm the first yr of my kids life. It wasnt hard, and i could relate to kids movies wayyy too much. I needed to be my own person too. Just because you have kids, dont give up your own goals! So i went back into the military because thats a huge part of me tii! And typing on a phone sucks

babybutt666
by New Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I think there is nothing inherently wrong with SAHM; however if you leave the workforce you are vulnerable if something happens either to your husband or with your relationship like divorce.
skittleshawk
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM

i feel the same way 

skittleshawk
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:45 PM

THEY wanted to work i do not i want to stay home and take care of the kids and be a house wife.

Quoting MomNCombatBoots: To me it's a slap in the face to the women before us who busted their assesto prove they coukd be just as good in the workforce and military ranks as men. My great grandma, grandma, and mom are three of the strongest working women i know. My mom and aunt enlisted when women were still told you cant be as good as a man. My mom abd dad worked great jobs , that they enjoy to this day, throughout my childhood. They made sure one made it to my games snd school stuff. I am raising my daughter to be a strong woman too. When she gets old enough to start dating boys, i will tell her dont settle for a man who is expecting a house slave/baby maker. You find a job that you like and can support yourself on, and one day you will find someone who wants to be your equal, not make your choices for you. Idk bout u ladies, but there are two adults, a five yr old, and two big dogs in my house. And since we both work hard during the week, not just him, i expect help when its cleaning time. And my hubby gets props because he does most of the cooking. I hate it snd wasnt born with the betty crocker gene. In return i do the cleanup. Is it perfectly split 50/50? No. But its close enough! Whati dont like about sahms is when they talk about their kids being better off at home. Sooo, your kid doesnt learn to abide by rules in other places, interact with other kids or adultd, and learn to act socially without you holding their hand? Goodluck with that later on! And also, how much do you think you are teaching your kid aside from basic stuff? Unless you are a no shit degree holding educator. I can put a band aid on, but that doesnt give me doctor skills. And sahms, stop with the "i'm a teacher, doctor, chef" blah blah blah. No, you arent. You do all the same shit us working moms do, and we have less time to do it. Also, yup, my girl goes to school all day. But, i am also,like my fellow workingmoms, a mom "24/7" as you so often put it. Because who gets called when shit hits the fan, or vomit .... sooo, rant over! Working moms, hope i represented us well. All sahms without the martyr complex, thanks for keepin it real. P.s.~ i was a sahm the first yr of my kids life. It wasnt hard, and i could relate to kids movies wayyy too much. I needed to be my own person too. Just because you have kids, dont give up your own goals! So i went back into the military because thats a huge part of me tii! And typing on a phone sucks

noelgray
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Not at all. That is my dream. But it isn't going to work out that way. 

Noel (25)
& Brandon (26)
TTC since March 1, 2008
Avery Drew (grew wings 1/5/08 at 6wks 3days gestation)
Skylar Dakota (grew wings 4/19/08 at 5wks 1day gestation)
Charlie Blake (grew wings 4/4/10 at 4wks 3days gestation)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Quoting MomNCombatBoots: To me it's a slap in the face to the women before us who busted their assesto prove they coukd be just as good in the workforce and military ranks as men. My great grandma, grandma, and mom are three of the strongest working women i know. My mom and aunt enlisted when women were still told you cant be as good as a man. My mom abd dad worked great jobs , that they enjoy to this day, throughout my childhood. They made sure one made it to my games snd school stuff. I am raising my daughter to be a strong woman too. When she gets old enough to start dating boys, i will tell her dont settle for a man who is expecting a house slave/baby maker. You find a job that you like and can support yourself on, and one day you will find someone who wants to be your equal, not make your choices for you. Idk bout u ladies, but there are two adults, a five yr old, and two big dogs in my house. And since we both work hard during the week, not just him, i expect help when its cleaning time. And my hubby gets props because he does most of the cooking. I hate it snd wasnt born with the betty crocker gene. In return i do the cleanup. Is it perfectly split 50/50? No. But its close enough! Whati dont like about sahms is when they talk about their kids being better off at home. Sooo, your kid doesnt learn to abide by rules in other places, interact with other kids or adultd, and learn to act socially without you holding their hand? Goodluck with that later on! And also, how much do you think you are teaching your kid aside from basic stuff? Unless you are a no shit degree holding educator. I can put a band aid on, but that doesnt give me doctor skills. And sahms, stop with the "i'm a teacher, doctor, chef" blah blah blah. No, you arent. You do all the same shit us working moms do, and we have less time to do it. Also, yup, my girl goes to school all day. But, i am also,like my fellow workingmoms, a mom "24/7" as you so often put it. Because who gets called when shit hits the fan, or vomit .... sooo, rant over! Working moms, hope i represented us well. All sahms without the martyr complex, thanks for keepin it real. P.s.~ i was a sahm the first yr of my kids life. It wasnt hard, and i could relate to kids movies wayyy too much. I needed to be my own person too. Just because you have kids, dont give up your own goals! So i went back into the military because thats a huge part of me tii! And typing on a phone sucks

I take care of over 50 animals and grow 2,000+ lbs of food a year. Do you do that? Not every SAHM is the same and no, you don't do everything all SAHM's do. 

One choice is not better than the other. It's a choice and different choices provides different opportunities. 

petitekatie
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I think it's great! as long as you aren't trying to teach your kids that this is the only way. I would love to be a SAHM or WAHM, but my children would know that it was my choice, and they can choose differently, ya know?

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM
That is part of the family values too that are missing. Assuming he will divorce her and all. Dh and I are hitting 14 years this spring and are very much happy and in love still.

I also don't watch kiddie shows all day. I home educate our four kids. Well only the older three for now, but still keep up with the needs of the toddler.

It's my role to fill and we are both happy with it. When they are mostly grown, I'm going to get a nobrainer job to help supplement their college and our retirement.

We far from stay home and do nothing in our home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Both parents whould have to support their kids financially. If that same husband left her ass, she'd be hauling him into court to give her money. Women should work just like the men and no sitting home all da and watching kiddie shows is not work

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Both parents whould have to support their kids financially. If that same husband left her ass, she'd be hauling him into court to give her money. Women should work just like the men and no sitting home all da and watching kiddie shows is not work

I can't tell you the last time I watched a kiddie show, unless you count our Friday night family movie night. My husband told me last week he doesn't know how I get anything done with 2 kids under foot. What do you care that I support my husband and kids in the home and he supports us by working and being home after?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured