Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WWYD?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
My son is 6. He has asthma. It has been really bad the past 3 weeks or so. We've been to the doctor or ER 3 times in the past week. He missed 2 full days of school and 2 half days. I have told him repeatedly he needs to wear his coat outside. (It is in the 50s here) When he gets off the bus, no coat. I get after him for it every time. His teacher posts pics online (private site) for parents to see. Well, I saw some pics of him outside....no coat.

Should I email the teacher about this? If he is not staying warm, he will get sick. If he gets sick, his asthma gets worse. As it is, he is using his inhaler 3 times a day for prevention and a warm mist humidifier in his room. Seems to help, a lot.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Him not wearing a coat, isn't why he is having trouble with his asthma.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Being cold in of itself will not make him sick. That being said, I know what you mean. My six year old will leave off her coat and hoodie and come bolting of the bus in a t-shirty in 45/50 degree weather...I don't get it.

You might shoot the teacher an email asking if she can try to make sure the kids wear their coats outside. But I'd focus on talking to my kid about it.

handy0318
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

With the asthma, it's probably not the fact that he's getting cold, it's the cold air that he is breathing. Cold air is a trigger for my son's asthma as well... and even when he's wearing a coat, breathing in cold air is enough to trigger the asthma. Once, he was perfectly well and had been for a long time... he put on his coat, we piled in the car, it was cold... by the time we got to the bus stop, only two miles away, his asthma had triggered coughing so bad he was throwing up.

Your son is probably  taking his coat off because he's simply just too hot in it. Most kids become too warm in a coat, when they're playing. 

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Say something to the teacher mama. 

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM

And this is correct. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Him not wearing a coat, isn't why he is having trouble with his asthma.

handy0318
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I should also add that strenuous exercise can trigger the asthma as well.... it might not be because he's not wearing his coat... the asthma could be getting triggered just by playing and running around...being a kid.

Asthma sucks, it really does.

However, I wouldn't push the coat unless he actually feels cold. Most likely, he's overheated in the coat and that won't prevent the asthma if it's the air itself or play that's causing it.

Good luck... we finally just had to pull our son from school and home-school him. I believe our son's greatest asthma trigger was the school building itself. :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN