Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Happy Anniversary to us from the Inlaws...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies

So the inlaws were keeping my 4 year old DS for the weekend because it is our anniversary which is today. He stayed last night and my DH called this morning to check and make sure all was ok. MIL tells him they are about to go out and get new shoes for him because the ones he has on are too tight for him. I went and literally just bought these shoes only weeks ago. They are new and they fit him. Last time she kept him (months ago) she said his clothes were too small as well. Since he was border lining the next size I went ahead and swapped his clothes out. Anyway, choosing our battles here we didn't say anything and if they wanted to spend their money on another pair then whatever.

This would have been the longest we've ever been away from our son ever so a little later DH calls because he wanted to swing by and say hello. MIL then tells him that they were leaving Kohls and headed to Target to get him a bike now. Well, that is what we were planning on getting him for Christmas as his big gift so DH asks them not to get one for him. This is where it gets mind boggling to me.. Both MIL & FIL started saying they weren't going to be dictated on what they buy him at their house, do with him, or what they spend their money on etc.. At this point DH is explaining that is something we have been waiting to get him and with DS being his first child it is important to him. Didn't matter.. They said we should just be grateful they want to do things. THEN.. they told my DH to come pick my DS up! 

A complete tantrum from two gorwn adults over being asked not to buy their grandson a bike. There are other things in the store if they absolutely HAD to get him something. Plus, its not like they can never get him a bike for their house.. just wait until after Christmas. They started bringing up old crap too like when we all went to Disney. They wanted to take DS alone but DH & I said no we would like to take him and be there for his first time. So we ended up all went together and they threw it in his face that we just had to tag along with them to Disney....?!?! 

My cousin's wife offered to come stay with him so DH & I can still go out tonight for out anniversary which I appreciate very much but lovely right...

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM
14 moms liked this

Damn, why couldn't y'all just be grateful for a bike. Y'all could have bought him something else too.

Sbellemommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM
What assholes
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Petty bullshit. Quit bitching. Be thankful.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Its a bike for their house. And they are right you can't dictate what they spend their money on
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
What an incredibly weird reaction.
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

i hate that shit.

i would have just said ok, but he keeps the bike at your house. at christmas he would have a much cooler bike from us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM

The bike was for their house and he needs one here at home. It's something he has been asking for and is going to be his main present. They could have gotten him anything else they wanted. 

Quoting littlesippycup:

Damn, why couldn't y'all just be grateful for a bike. Y'all could have bought him something else too.

Torihoney5njn
by Kristy on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this

They sound like pieces of work. 

My mom  and my MIL let me know what they're going to buy my son for Xmas and always have.  If I had a problem with anything they would immediately back off even if they didn't agree with me. It's called having respect for the child's parents. 

im sorry that's not what's happening with your inlaws.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
They are right, you can't tell them what they can and can't buy for him. My mil has bikes at her house and we have them at our house. The bikes are no less special to the kids.

Honestly, you are so wrapped up the first's, I can see where they might be getting frustrated.

I get it, your kid, your rules, blah, blah, blah.
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM
3 moms liked this

I can't stand this "first" shit (not just by you but the attitude in general, I hear it too often). First bike, first trip. Just be thankful you have an involved family, think about the alternative.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)