Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Rants of a barista

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies

If you work at all in customer service or in food you have pet peeves. After a particularly long stupidly ridiculous weekend of 9 straight hrs on my feet serving brats with Daddy's credit card. . . these are mine. 

1. If i'm talking to you, asking questions to clarify your order. talk back, if you are in front of me, make eye contact. I'm not asking for my health. I don't want to deal with you bitching if it's made to recipe and that's not how you wanted it. 

2. Don't start with "I need..." You NEED air. you don't NEED a 700 calorie beverage that costs 8 bucks. Sry. but you don't. 

3. If I ask if it's Iced... don't give me the WTF face. Coffee, lattes, and the like come HOT. ITS COFFEE. That's how we make it to recipe, iced or otherwise is a WHOLE different scenario. 

4. A cappucino.... It's half foam folks. That's the point. Foam is sweet and delicious. Don't let it sit for a half hr and then bitch b/c "You only filled it up halfway with milk..." That's the point. Know what you are asking for. 

5. If you ask for something light ... or skinny.... and then dump a half bottle of caramel drizzle, or whipped cream on it. Know we judge you like no other. . . oh and that "healthy blueberry muffin" youre double fisting... has more calories sugar and fat then a brownie. Just saying. 

6. Don't order at the window. Just don't. Its rude. 

*edit* There is a speaker box to order at. If you order at the window, all the people behind you, who ordered in the right place, are going to have to wait while we put everyone elses order inside and behind you, aside to make room for the ones "you" couldn't order in the correct area. Which doesn't sound like a big deal to most, but that means prepping, steaming, drawing shots, topping... all of which take time. Then wait times go up, we have to give free stuff out becuase of wait times, simply because "you" decided to be oblivious. 

7. Don't pitch a hissy fit over wait times. We are going as fast as humanly possible, only so many things can happen at once, and if you bitch loud enough? Chances are we will decaf your ass out of spite. 

*whew* I feel a bit better. Especially since I have to smile and deal at work. At least I can gripe here! 

Anyone wanna add? lol. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Lmao! I worked at Starbucks when I was 19 and it was in a very wealthy area. They treated us like crap. One customer told my coworker she was stupid and that's probably why she's working there :( she was a single mom putting herself through college. They see you behind that counter and they think they know your story and they want to judge you. I was a college kid too just making some money but they would talk to me like I didn't speak English. I was very demoralizing. A coworker spit a huge phlegm wad into I the frappuccino mix and served it to this bitch and her 2 friends who yelled at him for not being fast enough. I always respect everyone because we are all humans. And working at a fast food place or retail doesn't mean you're less of a human. You're making an honest dollar with an honest job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Yup. I have had a mom tell her daughter (who asked me if I liked my job and enjoyed the atmosphere) that "she would get a college education so she didn't have to work a window." I am a single mom, recently divorced, trying to go back to school, and raising two kids. I I have determined the more I work... the more I kinda hate humans. LOL. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Lmao! I worked at Starbucks when I was 19 and it was in a very wealthy area. They treated us like crap. One customer told my coworker she was stupid and that's probably why she's working there :( she was a single mom putting herself through college. They see you behind that counter and they think they know your story and they want to judge you. I was a college kid too just making some money but they would talk to me like I didn't speak English. I was very demoralizing. A coworker spit a huge phlegm wad into I the frappuccino mix and served it to this bitch and her 2 friends who yelled at him for not being fast enough. I always respect everyone because we are all humans. And working at a fast food place or retail doesn't mean you're less of a human. You're making an honest dollar with an honest job.

TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Eh I ask for skim milk and whipped cream. Why? Because the drink is too thick with whole milk or 2% judge away!
I know the baristas at the local Starbucks. They are nice to me and I am nice to them.
They give my ds free cake pops every time we go in!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM
I hope you leave a tip. They can get in trouble for giving free stuff.

Quoting TheSilence:

Eh I ask for skim milk and whipped cream. Why? Because the drink is too thick with whole milk or 2% judge away!

I know the baristas at the local Starbucks. They are nice to me and I am nice to them.

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Ugh! I was a barista for 2 yrs.. Part of that was after Katrina and I swear there were ppl that it took everything in me not to throw hot coffee on. About the worst I ever did was give them whole milk instead of skim lol
Katkinson
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM

LOL.  I'm trying ot think if I say I "need" a salted caramel mocha or if I "can get" a salted caramel mocha. . . Rest assured it will be "can I have" from now on.  LMAO

TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Of course. The manager was actually the first to give my ds a cake pop. I have never asked them for it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hope you leave a tip. They can get in trouble for giving free stuff.

Quoting TheSilence:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Quoting Katkinson:

LOL.  I'm trying ot think if I say I "need" a salted caramel mocha or if I "can get" a salted caramel mocha. . . Rest assured it will be "can I have" from now on.  LMAO

I honest to GOD DONT KNOW WHY that bothers me SO much. But my eye gives a little twitch each time. lol. I hate that. All of my coworkers do too. Chances are inside the drive thru they are saying "You don't NEED anything." lol

purple_panda
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I'm friends with my barista, she's given me free drinks before due to making to many. The shop I go to is also locally owned though, the owner has done the same thing with me.
TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Lol some mornings it is a need!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Katkinson:

I honest to GOD DONT KNOW WHY that bothers me SO much. But my eye gives a little twitch each time. lol. I hate that. All of my coworkers do too. Chances are inside the drive thru they are saying "You don't NEED anything." lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN