Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Birthday gift advice

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
  • 18 Replies

My son (8) got his first invite to a birthday party. Unfortunately, my dh and I got invited to a wedding that same day at the same time (5:30) so I had already arranged for my ex-husband to take the kids that weekend (he lives an hour away). He will pick up the kids Friday, the party is on Saturday so basically my son can't make it to the party . I already explained it to the boy's mother.  

My son and this kid seem to have become really good friends at school, so, I would at least like to send a birthday gift in for him to give to the friend on Friday.  Would a gift card be ok? Or an actual gift wrapped toy be better? 

by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM
I think thats weird and awkward. Its not a wedding.
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM

It's weird for my son to give his friend a gift?

Quoting Anonymous:

ramita
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this
At that age either would probably be good. Although a gift card with a birthday card would probably be easier for your son to get to school and the boy to bring home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Yes, t send a gift to a party you arent attnding is weird. Not to mention you jus want to give him a gift card. So its not like you have a personal relationship with this child.

Quoting PhantomRose88:

Quoting Anonymous:

PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM

That's what I was thinking too. And, I'm not really sure what the boy likes besides Minecraft (since that's all my son says they talk about).   I just didn't know if it was tacky to send in a gift card.....

Quoting ramita:

At that age either would probably be good. Although a gift card with a birthday card would probably be easier for your son to get to school and the boy to bring home.

Katkinson
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM

we do it for close friends if the kids can't make it.  I'd do a gift card.  HTH!

christina0607
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I dont think you shoul send a gift to school. If you feel A need to give he chld something, bring it to his house.
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I don't have a personal relationship with him, but, my son does. I'm not sending a gift to the party, my son will give his friend the gift at school. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, t send a gift to a party you arent attnding is weird. Not to mention you jus want to give him a gift card. So its not like you have a personal relationship with this child.

Quoting PhantomRose88:

Quoting Anonymous:

PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM

They just know each other from school, I don't know where they live. I've talked to the mom about setting up a playdate for them, but, nothing set in stone yet and no addresses have been exchanged. 

Quoting christina0607:

I dont think you shoul send a gift to school. If you feel A need to give he chld something, bring it to his house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Its not appropriate to send a gift to school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)