Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pets while pregnant?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I really want to get a kitten but people keep telling me not to because of the cat litter. :( Did you change a litter box while you were pregnant? It's just me that lives here, so I really don't have the option of getting someone else to. I was thinking of getting a small puppy but I live in an upstairs apartment. Did/could you take care of pets while pregnant? What was it?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
olivia_benson
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM

The chance of getting toxemia is small. Especially if you wash your hands well immediately after cleaning the box.

What my doctor told me though is that there is a chance is could be harmful. If something came out "abnormal" about your baby (even if it wasn't your fault), would you forever blame yourself?

MyCaptain
by Horror queen on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM
I wouldn't take the risk of getting a kitten. Their poop can carry a parasite.
bluelace777
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I have my husband clean the box. Chances are super small of getting sick if you use gloves, but I'm not telling him that. :)

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Don't get a pet while pregnant. Wait until the baby is a little older and you won't be so overwhelmed. Trust me on this. Wait until baby is about 6 months old and you have a pretty consistent routine down.

I am NOT Karl. But I might still eat your hands.

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM

It's not a safe idea to change the litter box when pregnant because of toxoplasmosis. The responsibility of a kitten can also be a lot when you are pregnant and will have a new baby in the house. I would wait until you have the baby. I had a dog and cat when I was pregnant, but I already had them, they go to the bathroom outside, and I have my husband and son to help me out with taking care of them. 

Katkinson
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I'd get the baby mastered first before a pet. 

Not saying you can't, but you may be overwhelmed.  I have two dogs and two older kids.  I will have a baby at the end of January. . . with my two older kids ( the dogs were here first)  sometimes i feel I don't have enough time for them.  Add a baby, and it'll be worse. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Do not get a pet during pregnancy! Wait until baby is a kid and no longer a baby. Please trust me on this.
aimlee
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

lol I do the same! I just found out Im pregnant again and told him its time to take over again. 

Quoting bluelace777:

I have my husband clean the box. Chances are super small of getting sick if you use gloves, but I'm not telling him that. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM

We have a cat, because of DH's work I was left to clean the litter box(or let it stink for anywhere from 1-4weeks), I wore gloves, and washed my hands right after cleaning it even though I had the gloves on.

stephensmommy06
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM
I have 2 cats and a snake that I cleaned while pregnant...you just have to not eat poop and wash hands when done
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured