Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My nephew hit my daughter with a hockey stick and she doesn't want to see him :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies

My daughter is 16 and has babysit my 6 year old nephew most afternoons for about 6 months now. His mom is in bad financial shape and works part-time, but tries to pick up all the shifts she can. She pays my daughter about $40-50 dollars a week, and my daughter doesn't mind because it's a little extra spending money and they live two houses down in an apartment.

My nephew has always had some behavioural issues, and he is seeing an educational psychologist and a psychiatrist now for an official diagnosis, because he has a definite problem in dealing with authority. My daughter has complained he doesn't listen and throws tantrums, but she has stuck with it as a learning opportunity until now.

Today, she was watching him and told him that he couldn't watch TV any longer, he needed to go over his spelling words and have a bath. She said he started to kick up a fuss and was banging the TV remote onto the ground, almost breaking it. She went over to try to get it out of his hand, and he got upset she was touching him. His hockey stick was in the living room and he ran over, grabbed it and hit her on the thigh with it. 

She immediately called me and they were both crying when I got there. I got her dad to come pick her up, and she refused an apology from him. I just spoke to her now and she said she doesn't want to ever babysit him again. I can understand why- her thigh is bruised badly- but I feel horrible about the entire situation. 

My sister called her as well and begged her forgiveness, but my daughter said that she's sorry, but she won't be babysitting him again. My sister called me crying as well and said she doesn't know what to do about a sitter now, but she can't afford to miss work.

Does anyone have any advice? Would anyone try to convince their daughter to continue babysitting? I'm at a loss about what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2joys
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM
6 moms liked this
If she doesn't want to babysit him anymore I would just let it go. She is old enough to make that decision for herself and after that I don't blame her.
greatwhiteshark
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I wouldn't try to convince my daughter. Give her time she might change her mind and forgive him. I'm sorry for your sister though. Tough spot to be in.
orchardmoma
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

No way would I make my daughter go back.  If you want to help her, you watch the kid until she finds someone else, if you can't,  then this is just one of those situations in life that just sucks!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't blame her, tell your sister to control her little brat and get new help. Or maybe two  people babysitting there would be a better situation. That kid needs discpline  by the mother. Where is his father? 

Missdameanor
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I agree with this 

Quoting my2joys:

If she doesn't want to babysit him anymore I would just let it go. She is old enough to make that decision for herself and after that I don't blame her.

fatcat0908
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd never try to convince my daughter to stay. What if next time he hits her in the head with a hammer or stabs her with a knife? It is a very VERY unsafe environment for your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't force her to babysit. It's not your responsibility to provide a sitter for your sister. And your DD might find after a few weeks that she misses the money and change her mind.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM

No, I wouldn't.   I remember babysitting a boy that was 4 when I was about fifteen.   Everyone said he was a handful and was a (bad) kid.   He never tried to hurt me like that!!!    I enjoyed the little boy, actually.     However, I would NOT have been mature enough to handle behavioral problems.

I understand your sister is struggling, but you have to support and protect your daughter.   Plus, what happens if this situation happens again and she defends herself and harms the child???   Then she's in SERIOUS trouble for being too young to handle a child with behavior issues.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldnt watch a kid who hit me i wouldnt expect her ToO
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM

He's a deadbeat. Pays child support sparingly, but has a drug problem and is generally just a lowlife. 

My daughter is an only child, and I would be okay with watching him on weekends going forward, but I work a 9-5 and can't watch him during the week either. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't blame her, tell your sister to control her little brat and get new help. Or maybe two  people babysitting there would be a better situation. That kid needs discpline  by the mother. Where is his father? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)