Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I call poison control

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM
  • 15 Replies

We were over at my Aunts house for lunch today after Church. She had some of her friends over as well. My six year old son said he was thirsty and asked my aunt if he was allowed something to drink and she told him to help himself to the pitcher of lemonade in the refridgerator. She didn't know that my cousin had made another pitcher of lemonade and spiked it with vodka.

My son poured himself a glass, came back in, and took a few sips, then my cousin came in the room and saw him and said "wait, which pitcher did he take that from?" Then he tasted it and it turned out my son had taken the spiked lemonade. He said it tasted funny, but he didn't want to say anything and hurt my Aunts feelings. He only had like two sips, so I wasn't very concerned, just went and got him a different glass with the real lemonade. One of my aunts friends started freaking and saying we should take him to the ER or call poison control, because he could have alcohol poisoning. I just promised I'd keep an eye on him and if he started acting weird I would call. My dad, who is a pediatrician, said it was no big deal. What would you have done?

by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't worry over two sips.

Mrs.Mommy081012
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Not over a few sips. It should be fine.
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM
No big deal. He didn't drink a lot. Accidents happen, but they should have labeled them or something.
TaughtTot
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I'd give him water and and breads, no poison control IMO

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM

There are no kids who live in the house, just my aunt and my cousin, whose my age, 21, so they didn't even think of labeling them. 

Quoting kaysha:

No big deal. He didn't drink a lot. Accidents happen, but they should have labeled them or something.

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

He'd just eaten lunch, so I knew he drank it on a full stomach. He had a turkey sandwich, so that has bread.

Quoting TaughtTot:

I'd give him water and and breads, no poison control IMO

orchardmoma
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM

He can't get alcohol poisoning from a couple of sips. Don't you know this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Yeah no I wouldn't have freaked.

I use to sneak a few sips of my dad's beer, I'm fine :)

blue-heart
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Two sips? I would not call.
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I would have done what you did. Watched in case it was more then a few sips and calmed the worried older lady down. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)