Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it okay to make fun of your toddler or young child while he or she is having a tantrum?

Posted by   + Show Post

Mean Dad Makes Fun Of His Daughter During Tantrum (VIDEO)

by Lisa Fogarty

There are lots of things we can do as parents to help our children get through those really awful, irrational tantrums they have about ten times each day. We can try to ignore them so that our kids won't associate attention with their behavior. We can distract them, enact a time-out rule, or even teach them how to calm themselves down. What should we probably not do? Laugh at them, ridicule them, and teach his or her siblings to do the same. Which is more or less what this dad did on video for kicks.

Admittedly, when I first viewed this video and heard the little girl's pleading voice in the background, I thought he was making fun of his toddler and I got super pissed off. Then I learned that his daughter is actually six and, according to mom, had been having a tantrum for one hour. Dad was just trying to lighten the mood, she says. Okay, I get it. A six-year-old may be able to take this kind of humor and maybe -- maybe -- it will even shut her down and teach her to laugh at herself.

Only that doesn't seem to be what's happening, judging by the video. The girl just keeps screaming louder and louder and her brother appears to be having a good time laughing along with dad and mom. Right. Good luck teaching your son to not tease your daughter after you've set this example, dad! 

I'm the mom of a toddler and not a six-year-old so yeah, I'm still uptight when it comes to things like this. I'm trying to show my daughter how to take three deep breaths and count to ten when she gets upset -- and it's actually working. I can't imagine laughing at her in front of her (whatever you do in the privacy of your bedroom is another matter) while she's experiencing what feels like a real problem that has given her real anxiety.

Maybe I'll feel differently after four more years of tantrums, and maybe different tactics just work for different kids and we shouldn't judge this dad too harshly. Hey, this family might even be on to something since some of us seem to talk to her our children like they are 55-year-old professors who understand all logic instead of like children who understand..well, not much logic at all.

That said, I still can't watch this video without cringing. I'm not on board with ridicule..yet.

Do you think it's okay to make fun of your toddler or young child while he or she is having a tantrum?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Lmao, that video was awesome, had my DS and me laughing. That dad actually looks like a fun loving dad who made something horrible into something funny.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it depeands on the tantrum. This vedio makes this dad look like a ass. When my son who is 6 is throughing a fit because he didn't get his way sometimes it help to make fun of him and play around with him to make him for get it. Other times I will put him in his room or somewhere else were he can through his little fit and once he's down and calms down then we have a nice talk about what happend and why he got so upset to start with and go from there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Yeah if my six year old tried that I would give her to the count of 3 to stop or she would get her butt busted. After two tantrums are not acceptable. And actually most chidlren are better able to communicate than people give them credit for.

anon1986East
by Kali on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I think it depends. Like when my 9 year old gets angry over petty things, I'm going to to tell her she's being silly and I'll pretend I'm angry over something petty too and then she sees how ridiculous she's being. I don't think it's a bad thing to make light of a tantrum, of course I'd never point my fingers at my kids while calling them names. A little light hearted joking is normal in my family, growing up there were times my folks "made fun" of me and it didn't mess me up. It taught me to find the funny moments in life and to not take myself so serious, and I certainly don't have a problem with making fun of myself when I do or say something that my adult brain should recognize as stupid but is sometimes slow about it.

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I'm ashamed to admit, I have laughed at my son. Not to ridicule him but just because hes so stinkin cute when hes mad I just cant help it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM

It does in away make him look that way and at the same time it makes him look like a ass only because you have no idea why the kids is flipping out. I though it was funny myself and it would of had my DH and even my kids laughing. That's why I said it depeands on the tantrum. If he was doing it over something that was a stupid reason to through a fit to being with I see no harm in it.

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

Lmao, that video was awesome, had my DS and me laughing. That dad actually looks like a fun loving dad who made something horrible into something funny.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it depeands on the tantrum. This vedio makes this dad look like a ass. When my son who is 6 is throughing a fit because he didn't get his way sometimes it help to make fun of him and play around with him to make him for get it. Other times I will put him in his room or somewhere else were he can through his little fit and once he's down and calms down then we have a nice talk about what happend and why he got so upset to start with and go from there.

AMRios
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I thought this was so funny... It was not a toddler but a girl throwing a fit... We were all that age once and know how young girls are... At least he isn't beating her with a cord!

RaisinGirl78
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM

It's kinda creepy how well he can mimic her. As if she does this often. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I think the best thing to do is not give them any attention and completely ignore the child if they are not getting a reaction they generally wont continue to throw tantrums because they are not getting anything out of it even negative attention is worth it to some kids .

AmericanDream
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting zacmacsmomm:

I ignored them, or told them to be louder so the people on the next block could hear them.  Then I would walk away.  Sometimes I just carried their happy asses to their rooms and told them to stay there untill they were done

I've used that one! "Is that ALL you've got?"... "Come on, I know you can be a bit louder... I don't think (name of friend who lives across the street) can hear about (whatever she's screaming about)."
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM

LOL.  He should have just spanked her ass until she stfu. 

No way would I put up with that screaming shit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)