Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How to explain adoption to my six year old? Edited.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 93 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm due in March and not keeping it. I was excited at first, but now I'm not. I dread it. I don't look at baby stuff, nor do I care to buy any. Ever since I found out it was a boy, I've been so depressed about it and withdrawn. 

All my son wants is a sibling. I hear about it all the time. I feel like I'm denying him something, but why have a kid that I know I won't be able to love? I know I won't feel attached to this kid. I don't want it. I'm hoping to be able to hide it from him. 

If he does find out, somehow, how do I explain this to him? That I have the chance to give him a sibling but I can't because I don't want another boy? 

Edit
This isn't about why I'm giving it up for adoption. It's about how to explain it to my son if he finds out.

This was my last pregnancy. They have two different fathers and I certainly won't be trashy and make a third with anyone.  So I won't have anymore after this. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Liastele
by Lauren on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Have you seen a therapist about your depression? There are some pregnancy safe antidepressants that you could take to help you. Please make sure you mention your concerns at your next prenatal appointment and seek help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Sorry hon...I got nuthin
stephensmommy06
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Are you giving the baby away because it's a boy?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

What does that matter?

Quoting stephensmommy06:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I don't need help for anything. I'm not really depressed. I'm withdrawn from the pregnancy. 

Quoting Liastele:

Have you seen a therapist about your depression? There are some pregnancy safe antidepressants that you could take to help you. Please make sure you mention your concerns at your next prenatal appointment and seek help.

stephensmommy06
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I was just asking because you make it sound like that's the case...you need help

Quoting Anonymous:

What does that matter?

Quoting stephensmommy06:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this
What is wrong with you? I have 3 boys, soon to be 4. No girls. I wanted a girl so badly but never got one. That does not mean I will not love my boys.

Get help before deciding anything permanent.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I didn't get attached to my DS during the pregnancy either. I was excited but I didn't feel that connection I felt with my DD. When he was born I instantly fell in love with him.

Please don't rush into anything. How does his father feel about adoption?
Lilfootmommy
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Maybe you should give the baby a chance for your sons sake
MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Good heavens. You're giving up your baby because of his gender? Please talk to your doctor about this. That's definitely not normal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)