Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"old wives tales" believe in them????

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM
  • 12 Replies
Well alot is true in my eyes!!! Example. we had fish sticks for dinner, ran out of tea so i had milk. oh my gosh!!!! I had the poops and vomiting for hours later! So i honestly thought back to the wives tale of do not mix milk and fish.... do u guys believe in old sayings? Aka old wives tales? Whats some you ladies heard growing up?
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe they have coincidence or circumstance.

But they're still fun :)
redneckmama4
by Loree on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Shell fish!

Some I believe, some not. Right now, my long haired Chi has the thickest, longest coat he's ever had, which leads me to believe it will be a hard winter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I have eaten fish sticks with milk lots of times. So have my kids! None of us got sick. I've never even heard of this Old Wives Tale. shrugs

cupomeow
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I look at wooly worms to see how long the middle stripe is to predict the winter weather. There is speculation that it means nothing but it is fun to wonder, do they really know?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Food poisoning can take up to 12 hours to kick in. It may not have been the fish sticks....

If it was the fish sticks, it's not because you mixed them with milk. 

lostone78
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Oh by the way it was popcorn shrimp, fish sticks and tater tots. It was frozen section from the dollar general nite. also known as the day before the grocery store around my house. oh and salad we had lettuce in the frdge that needed to be eaten. i worked 8 hr and didnt wanna shop or cook so popped in the local DG for eggs and bacon and they was out so we hit the frozen section!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
You bought groceries, frozen at that, at a dollar store and you think mixing with milk is what gave ya the shits!!!????

Quoting lostone78:

Oh by the way it was popcorn shrimp, fish sticks and tater tots. It was frozen section from the dollar general nite. also known as the day before the grocery store around my house. oh and salad we had lettuce in the frdge that needed to be eaten. i worked 8 hr and didnt wanna shop or cook so popped in the local DG for eggs and bacon and they was out so we hit the frozen section!

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never heard that ... fish sticks and milk. That's a new one especially since fish is really tasty in a cream sauce. 

Chicken soup really does help a cold. 

Going outside with wet hair will make you sick. My MIL used to get so annoyed when I would go out right after taking a shower in the winter AND to make it worse ... I didn't dry my hair!! Yes, wet hair, outside, in the winter. We live in NC ... it really doesn't get THAT cold here. 

IF you raise your arms over your head while pregnant, you will strangle your baby.

Anyone have any hairy palms????

Here are 9 that are actually true ... 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/26/old-wives-tales_n_3654968.html

here are some more fun ones to read: 

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/5-old-wives-tales-health.htm#page=0

lostone78
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Lmao we shop at the DG all the time. we live in the country it is all that is around us. they sell name brand which is what we buy. but i also love and stand by some of the dollar store products thier laundry stain spray is amazing for the grease my SO the diesel machanic gets into!! Grease Lighting wont touch it but thier 1.00 stuff does everytime. niether does Oxyclean.

Quoting Anonymous:

You bought groceries, frozen at that, at a dollar store and you think mixing with milk is what gave ya the shits!!!????

Quoting lostone78:

wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:22 PM
I've had 4 black cats in my lifetime, I've broken countless mirrors, I can't tell you how often I've accidentally swept my feet with the broom...

No bad luck here!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN