Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Giving babies spicy food is bad?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 309 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've never heard of that before.

But when I was on the phone with my sister and my nephew (13mnths old) and I were having lunch he was making happy squeals.  She asked what he was happy about, so I told her I was sharing my curry with him. (she told me he can eat anything and likes to share)

She got upset and said you can't give babies that!

I won't again, I mean it's her kid.  But it was just couscous and lentils, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong.  

Was I wrong?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnieGoolaheey
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM
7 moms liked this

My son has been eating hot sauce on practically everything since he was two.  If they like it, why not?

tardistraveller
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I gave my ds whatever I ate when he was this age, he didn't like spicy food.  He says (now) it hurts his tongue.  So I never gave it to him.  I just gave me nephew a tiny bit and he loved it so I gave him more.  

He cried when I wouldn't give him any more of it actually.  

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

My son has been eating hot sauce on practically everything since he was two.  If they like it, why not?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM
27 moms liked this

Spice won't hurt a baby. I wouldn't give them anything with the name "hell sauce" or anything like that, but regular everyday spices are good. I don't know where people got the notion that babies don't like flavor...that boggles my mind.

Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I ate Thai Food every day when pregnant with DS. Now he loves Thai food, he started eating it at the age of 1...
mom22boys333
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this

My oldest started eating the jalepeno cheetos a little after his 1st b-day.....I was scared they would be too hot but he loved them.

mlg1989
Today at 12:43 AM
by ZombieMegg on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont think so? I mean as long as they arent having a bad experience then I see no issue. If the baby is screaming because of the spiciness of it then I would say maybe you shouldnt until they can handle it better but really I have never heard a Dr. say this.
norahsmommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
10 moms liked this
If you give babies what you eat they grow to love a wide variety of foods and flavors. Nothing wrong with a little spice ;)
myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM
In general I think it's fine as long as it's not face melting hot. We avoid spicy foods with my 9 month old, but he has reflux so it's necessary for him.
wonderstruck11
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM
My DD loves spice food(almost 2). She eats salsa and jalapeƱos and can't get enough!
anonymouss
by Diamond Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM
4 moms liked this
Well, it is her kid. I wouldn't say you were wrong, but if you did it again, then you'd be wrong.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured