Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Giving babies spicy food is bad?

I've never heard of that before.

But when I was on the phone with my sister and my nephew (13mnths old) and I were having lunch he was making happy squeals.  She asked what he was happy about, so I told her I was sharing my curry with him. (she told me he can eat anything and likes to share)

She got upset and said you can't give babies that!

I won't again, I mean it's her kid.  But it was just couscous and lentils, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong.  

Was I wrong?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Quoting norahsmommy:

If you give babies what you eat they grow to love a wide variety of foods and flavors. Nothing wrong with a little spice ;)
tardistraveller
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I'm sure some don't like spicy, ds never did.  But flavour is individual and how are you to know he doesn't like it if he doesn't try it?

ANyways, he likes curry lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Spice won't hurt a baby. I wouldn't give them anything with the name "hell sauce" or anything like that, but regular everyday spices are good. I don't know where people got the notion that babies don't like flavor...that boggles my mind.

tardistraveller
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I already said I wouldn't do it again.  

Quoting anonymouss:

Well, it is her kid. I wouldn't say you were wrong, but if you did it again, then you'd be wrong.

TheDrsRose
by Bad♄Wolf on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I mean,right!? I would be SO sick of eating nothing but bland cereal and mashed mush that I would probably cry anytime I had too!

Quoting Anonymous:

Spice won't hurt a baby. I wouldn't give them anything with the name "hell sauce" or anything like that, but regular everyday spices are good. I don't know where people got the notion that babies don't like flavor...that boggles my mind.

shajdinyak
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM
My girls have been eating it since in utero...they love it and are great and healthy eaters, aside from our hot wings we eat as a treat once in awhile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM

My kid's docotr said to limit spices that babies get, because when they are first learning to eat solids, things with spice can warp their taste buds in a way, to where they will grow not to enjoy just plain, fresh foods. And that is why most baby foods are so bland.

That being said, both of my children love spicy stuff.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I see nothing wrong with it, ds was about 10 months when i started putting spices and such on his foods. he has almost always had what we ate in a milder version. I would not have had an issue with it.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
DD has been eating spicy Indian curries since 7 or 8 months old sans problems.
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Spicy food is fine.
AmericanDream
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I see nothing wrong with it.  If they like it, they like it!

LOL.

Just be careful about how much they eat.  When older DD was little she loved salsa (not super hot... but def. with a kick).  However, one day, she must have eaten more than we realized.  It might have been yummy going down but it tore her poor little bum up coming back out.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)