Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Giving babies spicy food is bad?

I've never heard of that before.

But when I was on the phone with my sister and my nephew (13mnths old) and I were having lunch he was making happy squeals.  She asked what he was happy about, so I told her I was sharing my curry with him. (she told me he can eat anything and likes to share)

She got upset and said you can't give babies that!

I won't again, I mean it's her kid.  But it was just couscous and lentils, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong.  

Was I wrong?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Babies and young toddlers do not have the same gastric system as adults.  I would think that new spicy foods would cause diahhrea or upset tummies.    It just isn't something that I would have given by child before the age of 3-4.

tardistraveller
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM

She sent a nice lunch, deli chicken, cheddar and swiss cheese and banana.

But he saw I had something different and wanted to try and liked it, I didn't see the harm.  

Quoting TheDrsRose:

I mean,right!? I would be SO sick of eating nothing but bland cereal and mashed mush that I would probably cry anytime I had too!

Quoting Anonymous:

Spice won't hurt a baby. I wouldn't give them anything with the name "hell sauce" or anything like that, but regular everyday spices are good. I don't know where people got the notion that babies don't like flavor...that boggles my mind.

anonymouss
by Aquamarine Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I know. That was my way of answering your question. So, no you were not wrong, because you weren't aware that he couldn't have curry or spicy food.
I think it's fine for older babies to have spicy food, just to throw my opinion in there. : )

Quoting tardistraveller:

I already said I wouldn't do it again.  

Quoting anonymouss:

Well, it is her kid. I wouldn't say you were wrong, but if you did it again, then you'd be wrong.

TheDrsRose
by Bad♄Wolf on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM

He might get a bit gassy but other then that,he will be fine. But like you know,her kid so her rules. You didn't do anything wrong,he was curious and now he knows. Never know if you like something unless you try it right? He might grow up to be the next curry mastah now! LOL

Quoting tardistraveller:

But he saw I had something different and wanted to try and liked it, I didn't see the harm.  

Quoting TheDrsRose:

I mean,right!? I would be SO sick of eating nothing but bland cereal and mashed mush that I would probably cry anytime I had too!

Quoting Anonymous:

Spice won't hurt a baby. I wouldn't give them anything with the name "hell sauce" or anything like that, but regular everyday spices are good. I don't know where people got the notion that babies don't like flavor...that boggles my mind.

CelestialSong
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I've heard that, but I ignored it. I gave my daughter little tastes of food that was spicy to see how she did. If she wanted more, she got more. If not, oh well. She's 2 now and has always loved spicy stuff! Curry especially. She actually has a higher tolerance for spiciness than I do. No bland food for this kid.

Caera
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Nope. Your sister is an airhead.

bakerytreatz16
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM
My 18 month old loves nachos. And She'll dip anything in salsa... She even dipped a peanutbutter
Cookie, bleck >.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tardistraveller
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM

lol, my sister has some weird ideas about babies sometimes *eyeroll*

But she is an amazing mum, and it is her kid so I will not give K any curry while secretly thinking it's dumb lol

Quoting TheDrsRose:

He might get a bit gassy but other then that,he will be fine. But like you know,her kid so her rules. You didn't do anything wrong,he was curious and now he knows. Never know if you like something unless you try it right? He might grow up to be the next curry mastah now! LOL

Quoting tardistraveller:

Quoting TheDrsRose:

Quoting Anonymous:

lipsis
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Some babies get a diaper rash the first time they eat spicy food. But that can happen the first time they eat something citrus, too.

My former MIL was from Vietnam. They give their babies very spicy first foods. Americans tend to want to give babies bland foods, but part of it stems from a good intention to identify which food is giving a baby a reaction.

smurfbitebug
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it if they like it and don't have any problems with it. I have given DD spicy foods before, and spicy sauces just for her to try, from a relatively young age up til now.. she is three now. Verde sauce made her welt up, even though it was mild and she ate it like someone was going to take it away from her..so no more Verde sauce for her..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)