Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Giving babies spicy food is bad?

I've never heard of that before.

But when I was on the phone with my sister and my nephew (13mnths old) and I were having lunch he was making happy squeals.  She asked what he was happy about, so I told her I was sharing my curry with him. (she told me he can eat anything and likes to share)

She got upset and said you can't give babies that!

I won't again, I mean it's her kid.  But it was just couscous and lentils, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong.  

Was I wrong?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Replies (31-40):
TheDrsRose
by Bad♥Wolf on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Curry is good for your blood bc all the spices in it. Tell her that. Convert her to a spice eater! lol

Quoting tardistraveller:

lol, my sister has some weird ideas about babies sometimes *eyeroll*

But she is an amazing mum, and it is her kid so I will not give K any curry while secretly thinking it's dumb lol

Quoting TheDrsRose:

He might get a bit gassy but other then that,he will be fine. But like you know,her kid so her rules. You didn't do anything wrong,he was curious and now he knows. Never know if you like something unless you try it right? He might grow up to be the next curry mastah now! LOL

Quoting tardistraveller:

She sent a nice lunch, deli chicken, cheddar and swiss cheese and banana.

But he saw I had something different and wanted to try and liked it, I didn't see the harm.  

Quoting TheDrsRose:

I mean,right!? I would be SO sick of eating nothing but bland cereal and mashed mush that I would probably cry anytime I had too!

Quoting Anonymous:

Spice won't hurt a baby. I wouldn't give them anything with the name "hell sauce" or anything like that, but regular everyday spices are good. I don't know where people got the notion that babies don't like flavor...that boggles my mind.

AMRios
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I have never heard it was bad but it might burn his mouth!

PeacefulLotus
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Letting them eat spice is actually a really great way to broaden their palate. Nothing wrong with it at all :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM
People in America have this crazy idea that flavor is bad for babies. Everything has to be aaaaabsolutely plain, lol. My stepmom gets on us all the time, telling us DD is going to have stomach troubles because she had a little oregano in her pasta sauce, things like that. Not only has she yet to have any problems, she LOVES it. She's almost eleven months. DH let her lick a jalapeno cheeto the other day and she went NUTS over it. And she loves straight lemons (seeds removed of course).
goldpandora
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM

So what does she think babies in India eat????

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM
It CAN cause upset stomach and acidic poop leading to an awful diaper rash. But not every kid will have issues. If a baby is breastfeeding and has a lot of issues you're advised to cut out spicy and acidic foods. At 13 months I'd say it is probably fine. My eldest son was eating spicy cheetos about that time lol
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM
I think people forget that babies have highly developed sense of taste. Newborns can tell the difference between their mothers milk and another woman's milk.

Quoting Anonymous:

People in America have this crazy idea that flavor is bad for babies. Everything has to be aaaaabsolutely plain, lol. My stepmom gets on us all the time, telling us DD is going to have stomach troubles because she had a little oregano in her pasta sauce, things like that. Not only has she yet to have any problems, she LOVES it. She's almost eleven months. DH let her lick a jalapeno cheeto the other day and she went NUTS over it. And she loves straight lemons (seeds removed of course).
lesliemck86
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I grew up on hot foods, as does my son.
Kaseyrose21
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM

DD(1) loves spicy food. I ate a ton of it while pregnant.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I don't think so, my first son loves spicy food....he loves HOT salsa, guacamole....been that way ever since he was about 12 months old.  He got a taste of DH's salsa on accident and I was really worried, but he LOVES the stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN