Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Giving babies spicy food is bad?

I've never heard of that before.

But when I was on the phone with my sister and my nephew (13mnths old) and I were having lunch he was making happy squeals.  She asked what he was happy about, so I told her I was sharing my curry with him. (she told me he can eat anything and likes to share)

She got upset and said you can't give babies that!

I won't again, I mean it's her kid.  But it was just couscous and lentils, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong.  

Was I wrong?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Replies (41-50):
ToughmommyX2
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM
My 13month old loves tapatio on stuff and he loves hot cheetoes the 2 times I've let him habe a few.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM
My kids eat what we do.
Spicy is fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supercarp
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM

It can cause problems for some people. If it's not your kid, why take the chance?

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Lol tell that to my kid who stole the bottle of salsa and was tipping her hand in it and eating it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Toddlers can have curry as long as their not allergic. Your sister is weird, lol. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM
It drives me crazy when I read or hear people say that solids eating infants and toddlers need bland food. Why? I doubt babies in India or Mexico or any other country that uses a lot of spice don't introduce it to their LOs at a young age.

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM
My son just turned. 2 and is the same way. Could have to do with the fact I ate jalapeños my entire pregnancy. My dd 7 hates all things spicy

Quoting wonderstruck11:

My DD loves spice food(almost 2). She eats salsa and jalapeños and can't get enough!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM

My kids liked spicy right out the gate probably because I like spicy. I ate it all through pregnancy and nursing they were used to it. I've actually read it's good to introduce a small amount of whatever spices your family regularly eats to baby food so that when they eat table food they will be used to it.

lexiloo714
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I've always read you're supposed to introduce them to different flavors and spices when they are young so they don't become super picky when they get older.
JamieBue38
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I'm pretty sure 1 is when you can give them *anything*

DD is 8 months and I still give her a sample of practically everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN