Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents in the South seem so different than up North

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 598 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm not trying to start a debate. But I've been wondering this for years. Why is it, parents who live in the south (not all) seem so supportive of corporal punishment? I live up north, and I know many parents who are more with the times about so many subjects not having anything to do with parenting, compared to the south. They still paddle children in schools in the south (which seems perverted btw).

It's beyond my comprehension why after all the tons of research studies done, children would still be getting whipped with belts, and paddled in schools anywhere in this country. Why do southerners, like down in LA or AL for instance seem so die hard on this subject. 

I can list a bunch of things that seem rampant in the south, but not in the north. Corporal punishment seems to be way more excepted. And children do not behave better down south than they do up north.  

Is it a religion thing? I know the christian religion is an in your face sort of thing just from driving thru and seeing those billboards about it.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, you're welcome to come back at me in defense. Sometimes, I feel like the south is a different planet. I'm from the NY area and the mentality seems far more advanced and modern, where in the south the mentality seems stuck in time.

I cannot fathom having a school up here allowed to paddle children. It would feel like we went back 50 years. With all the perverts out there, I find it hard to believe ANYONE would sign to allow their kid to be paddled by an instructor. Where I live, this just doesn't happen.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM
10 moms liked this
It's just what people are used to around here. Southerners are also very stubborn, so any kind of new information is snubbed and written off as "hippy shit". I remember not thinking twice about my classmates getting paddled out in the hallway (I'm 25 now).

BUT... I do not spank and never will. My children are incredibly well behaved too. *Gasp!* Imagine that.
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM
3 moms liked this
I spank and if the occasion arises in school I will allow them to spank them but our school doesn't do corporal punishment
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM
9 moms liked this
They paddle at ds school. He has never been paddled though, my guess would be because he gets spanked at home so he knows how to act. I honestly know maybe 3 families that don't spank their children. Those children are the ones the teachers dread having in their class.
supercarp
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM
16 moms liked this

The ratio of uneducated/educated people is greater in the south.

my2joys
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM
4 moms liked this
I live in Louisiana and I didn't know schools still spanked. News to me but they won't be doing it to my kids!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM
77 moms liked this
Corporal punishment seems to be way more excepted

When you learn the difference between except & accept come give me a shout

A Florida girl
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I am from the south and don't spank and know many who do not.  I think some are stuck in their ways but others like me do use their brain. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:28 PM
21 moms liked this
I think it's consistency of punishment that works not necessarily the type.
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I live in the midwest and I spank. Not often or hard its more of an attention getter.  I'm also not religious. It works for us. Our schools do not paddle. I won't let them if they did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:28 PM

So, I don't understand. Wouldn't u worry whoever was doing the paddling was getting off on it? I mean, allowing someone, essentially a stranger paddle my child's behind sounds not only crazy, but perverted. 

Quoting silverdawn99:

I spank and if the occasion arises in school I will allow them to spank them but our school doesn't do corporal punishment

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)