Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents in the South seem so different than up North

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm not trying to start a debate. But I've been wondering this for years. Why is it, parents who live in the south (not all) seem so supportive of corporal punishment? I live up north, and I know many parents who are more with the times about so many subjects not having anything to do with parenting, compared to the south. They still paddle children in schools in the south (which seems perverted btw).

It's beyond my comprehension why after all the tons of research studies done, children would still be getting whipped with belts, and paddled in schools anywhere in this country. Why do southerners, like down in LA or AL for instance seem so die hard on this subject. 

I can list a bunch of things that seem rampant in the south, but not in the north. Corporal punishment seems to be way more excepted. And children do not behave better down south than they do up north.  

Is it a religion thing? I know the christian religion is an in your face sort of thing just from driving thru and seeing those billboards about it.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, you're welcome to come back at me in defense. Sometimes, I feel like the south is a different planet. I'm from the NY area and the mentality seems far more advanced and modern, where in the south the mentality seems stuck in time.

I cannot fathom having a school up here allowed to paddle children. It would feel like we went back 50 years. With all the perverts out there, I find it hard to believe ANYONE would sign to allow their kid to be paddled by an instructor. Where I live, this just doesn't happen.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (261-270):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM

When I was driving through Georgia a few years ago they were still debating whether or not to have a SEGREGATED prom!!  I thought I had time warped!!  Very glad to be a northerner for many reasons, though the south has its pros as well.  It is a cultural difference.  I just am more used to being open to people being different and living peaceably together than many I have met from the south (or from the cities for that matter where segration seems to be more than in rural areas), who still enforce artificial gender roles, and a number of other things that are things I consider to be bad.  But different sets of values, different perspectives, everyone believes what they believe for their own reasons.  I just like being more open minded and seeing people as people instead of a color, a gender, an economic number, or any other number of things that we artificially judge people for, but there are people like that everywhere not just north or south.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

The north versus south thing has been done.  A lot.  Saying NY is so much better is debatable at best and if you don't live in the south, you shouldn't be making broad generalizations.  I've known people who have lived in NY and they all said the same thing.  It was an overcrowded crime ridden nightmare they were glad to be out of.  So yeah, probably not the best place to use in a comparison of good and bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I was thinking part of that list could be skewed due to population.There are more people in the state of New York vs. Arkansas so I wonder how they accounted for population (if they did).

Quoting Anonymous:

Part of the difference in education might have something to do with the fact that people in the south don't need as much education to make a decent living. Even though Texas isn't on the list, you don't have to graduate high school to get a good paying job around here. My husband and I only have high school degrees and we are pretty well off.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not making the generalization that all people in the south are uneducated.

I am only saying that, statistiucally, people who have earned degrees in higher education reside in the North more than they do in the South.

Research based on education from the US Census Bureau's American Community Survey ranked the top ten best and worst educated states based on the education of the residents:

The top ten best educated states were:

1. Massachusetts
  2. Maryland
  3. Colorado
  4. Conneticut
  5. Vermont
  6. New Jersey
  7. Virginia
  8. New Hampshire
  9. New York
  10. Minnesota

The top ten worst educated states were:

1. W. Virginia
  2. Mississippi
  3. Arkansas
  4. Kentucky
  5. Louisiana
  6. Alabama
  7. Nevada
  8. Indiana
  9. Tennessee
  10. Oklahoma

Obviously, not all of the worst states are considered "southern" states, but it's hard not to notice the geographical differences.

Quoting Countess79:

just because the people in the South speak slow don't mean they think slow..

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe this is accurate.

Quoting supercarp:

The ratio of uneducated/educated people is greater in the south.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I  grew up in the North. I was spanked as a child but do not believe in spanking.

angela.bouchard
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I've never lived in the south so I have no idea lol

Megan214
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I was raised in the south and I got my butt whooped. Didn't turn me into a killer. I learned real quick what consequences were. My husband's family is from the north and he got his butt spanked too. It's not a south vs north thing. It's different parenting approaches.
kymg
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I live in LA, Bossier. I have not signed paperwork for them not to deliver this punishement.  If they needed to, it is a final straw and I still get the final go ahead.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Look at the studies, the south as a whole is less educated than other parts of America. That kind of says it all right there.

SheciaBaby
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm from Louisiana and after telling you something about 25 times.. I'm swatting you. Call it geography or whatever you want. I don't beat them.. I had a cousin who's mom used to punch him for discipline :/ but I will pop u one good time. As for.paddling in school.. Don't u dare touch my child... But either way.. They should act right in class.. Which they do. ( well my oldest whos in school)
SheciaBaby
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Aha,really?

Quoting Anonymous:

Look at the studies, the south as a whole is less educated than other parts of America. That kind of says it all right there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN