Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents in the South seem so different than up North

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm not trying to start a debate. But I've been wondering this for years. Why is it, parents who live in the south (not all) seem so supportive of corporal punishment? I live up north, and I know many parents who are more with the times about so many subjects not having anything to do with parenting, compared to the south. They still paddle children in schools in the south (which seems perverted btw).

It's beyond my comprehension why after all the tons of research studies done, children would still be getting whipped with belts, and paddled in schools anywhere in this country. Why do southerners, like down in LA or AL for instance seem so die hard on this subject. 

I can list a bunch of things that seem rampant in the south, but not in the north. Corporal punishment seems to be way more excepted. And children do not behave better down south than they do up north.  

Is it a religion thing? I know the christian religion is an in your face sort of thing just from driving thru and seeing those billboards about it.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, you're welcome to come back at me in defense. Sometimes, I feel like the south is a different planet. I'm from the NY area and the mentality seems far more advanced and modern, where in the south the mentality seems stuck in time.

I cannot fathom having a school up here allowed to paddle children. It would feel like we went back 50 years. With all the perverts out there, I find it hard to believe ANYONE would sign to allow their kid to be paddled by an instructor. Where I live, this just doesn't happen.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (591-599):
Hot_Badonkadonk
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Re-read your post. You're the one with the issues, lol!  

Quoting Anonymous:

Where exactly did I say or even imply that children from the south are more violent or out of control? No where, because I never said it, and I never once felt that way. You are the one who is making the statement that attachment parenting creates violent and out of control children. Just because I disagree with that, does not also mean I think southern children are more violent or out of control. Wow, you really have some serious issues around this. 

You may be VERY educated, but you are obviously no on the subject of attachment parenting. It is also dangerous to base your assessments on your own person anecdotal evidence. 

Quoting Hot_Badonkadonk:

I am actually very educated, Thank you.

I do not need to go googling to find links. I see it with my own eyes. Look around you and listen to the news. IMO, ever since there has been a shift in parenting to the attachment approach kids have become out of control. I see it everyday. 

I am not saying there aren't good things about the attachment approach that I don't use with my own children. I am saying children need a balance... I don't care where you are located.  

And I still have not seen any links suggesting children from the South are more likely to be violent and out of uncontrol because we spank.

Quoting Anonymous:

What in the world are you talking about? Are you suggesting that children who have been raised with the attachment style of parenting are more likely to bully and misbehave? If so, please provide some sort of valid evidence to support that. 

Also, attachement approach is not babying, and it is also not to be confused with permissive or neglectful, parenting. Think, and educate yourself before you speak. 

Quoting Hot_Badonkadonk:

I am from the South and now live in the Midwest. 

Sometimes, I think kids these days are too cuddled. However, I look back at my childhood and see where I will do different with my kids. My first reaction is not to grab a belt or a hanger. I would rather work it out a different way but sometimes I a good spankin' is what's needed. That's all there is to it.  

Why do we seem to have more of a problem with children's behavior when it comes to bullying and even killing each other, and so on, if the attachment approach is best? I am not going to baby my children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I was raised in NY and live in FL now, people here excitedly beat their children, amongst other horrid things. I found out my daughters school uses a paddle, and if I ever found out they used it on her, I would have somebody's head. people in general here are angry, close minded and rude. I can't stand it. I would move if I could. all of the friends I've had here talk about how their parents beat them and used all sorts of bizarre punishments. They are afraid of their parents and I've noticed they don't share anything with their parents, are into drugs and etc.
nicolee0821
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Um, attachment parenting isn't what leads to violent, out of control children. Actually, physical violence leads to violent children. That, and a lack of people actually parenting their kids.

Quoting Hot_Badonkadonk:

Re-read your post. You're the one with the issues, lol!  

Quoting Anonymous:

Where exactly did I say or even imply that children from the south are more violent or out of control? No where, because I never said it, and I never once felt that way. You are the one who is making the statement that attachment parenting creates violent and out of control children. Just because I disagree with that, does not also mean I think southern children are more violent or out of control. Wow, you really have some serious issues around this. 

You may be VERY educated, but you are obviously no on the subject of attachment parenting. It is also dangerous to base your assessments on your own person anecdotal evidence. 

Quoting Hot_Badonkadonk:

I am actually very educated, Thank you.

I do not need to go googling to find links. I see it with my own eyes. Look around you and listen to the news. IMO, ever since there has been a shift in parenting to the attachment approach kids have become out of control. I see it everyday. 

I am not saying there aren't good things about the attachment approach that I don't use with my own children. I am saying children need a balance... I don't care where you are located.  

And I still have not seen any links suggesting children from the South are more likely to be violent and out of uncontrol because we spank.

Quoting Anonymous:

What in the world are you talking about? Are you suggesting that children who have been raised with the attachment style of parenting are more likely to bully and misbehave? If so, please provide some sort of valid evidence to support that. 

Also, attachement approach is not babying, and it is also not to be confused with permissive or neglectful, parenting. Think, and educate yourself before you speak. 

Quoting Hot_Badonkadonk:

I am from the South and now live in the Midwest. 

Sometimes, I think kids these days are too cuddled. However, I look back at my childhood and see where I will do different with my kids. My first reaction is not to grab a belt or a hanger. I would rather work it out a different way but sometimes I a good spankin' is what's needed. That's all there is to it.  

Why do we seem to have more of a problem with children's behavior when it comes to bullying and even killing each other, and so on, if the attachment approach is best? I am not going to baby my children.

dustinsmommy74
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I live in the South and no one, I mean no one, better put their hands on my child. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM

What part of NY?

I was born and raised in NY.  Moved to VA, (got married).  Lived in VA for ten years (had 2 kids there), then moved to GA due to a job change.  I don't think that I have Noerseen any examples of C/P, and I certainly DO NOT know any schools that would allow such a thing in our day and age, whether it be a school in the north, or the south.

A big difference that I see, is that often in the south if a kid is spoke to by an adult, grunting answers is NEVER acceptable.  You will hear a lot of "Yes, Sir"  "No Sir"  "Yes, Ma'am" "No Ma'am".  My friends in the North can't figure out how my kids talk to adults in a way that adults appreciate having conversations with them.

I am sure that there are more but I can not think of them at this time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Let me tell you something Sugar. I was born and "RAISED" the South and I cannot IMAGINE a better place to grow up. SURE our parents were hard on us and YES we got our "butts whuuped" when needed. Nine out of Ten times when I got it...I DESERVED IT. Did they ever ABUSE me? NO! They gave me...opportunities to make my OWN decisions and when I made the WRONG ones? I got to pick my OWN Peach Tree Switch and suffered the consequences.... We were raised to work hard and long! And it NEVER hurt me to learn to actually WORK! I can remember being out in the FIELDS with ....and I know you're going to think this RACIST, but with African Americans or "Black Folk" as they used to call THEM SELVES back then...And I worked right along WITH them. ONE/ON/ONE! And YES we did have "Black Folk" working on our family farm but not SLAVES....my daddy...my GRAND DADDY gave them JOBS and good honest day's pay. Same as my daddy paid me working on the farm. Back in that day...there was NO such thing as OBAMA CARE...Somebody got hurt, Daddy would just say well take 'em on down to the doctor and I'll pay for it. I used to call it ...IRA Care. YES things are diff in the South and I feel sorry for you that you never had an opp to ...experience such. Yet you can make this ...judgement. And as far as allowing "paddling" in school? Well, Hon...obviously I'm a LOT more older than you but I can assure you when Mrs. Christine leaned me over the desk in school...in front of the class. gave me COUPLE of whacks with the paddle. MY "attitude" got adjusted. These were not ABUSIVE teachers, they just had to do what ...they had to do. And things are only WORSE WITH KIDS THESE DAYS......YOU can't spank, you cannot discipline in ANY way. And we see where they are going now... B/T/W, I'm almost 57. Seen a lot more than you...I'm sure... Don't diss the Southerners until you've gotten to know a few.
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM

"I know the Christian religion is an in your face sort of thing..."

"I'm not trying to offend anyone"

Interesting...

However, if some one were to say something like... "I'm against gay marriage"...  they couldn't get away with just saying, "I'm not trying to offend anyone."

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Religion and less educated adults.
SummerMeadowMom
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Our  public school paddles still. However, in small town we live in everyone knows everyone, so gutter thoughts are not there. My kids are spanked, my niece is no. Which parent do you think is having the most trouble ?

Southern born and raised.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured