Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents in the South seem so different than up North

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm not trying to start a debate. But I've been wondering this for years. Why is it, parents who live in the south (not all) seem so supportive of corporal punishment? I live up north, and I know many parents who are more with the times about so many subjects not having anything to do with parenting, compared to the south. They still paddle children in schools in the south (which seems perverted btw).

It's beyond my comprehension why after all the tons of research studies done, children would still be getting whipped with belts, and paddled in schools anywhere in this country. Why do southerners, like down in LA or AL for instance seem so die hard on this subject. 

I can list a bunch of things that seem rampant in the south, but not in the north. Corporal punishment seems to be way more excepted. And children do not behave better down south than they do up north.  

Is it a religion thing? I know the christian religion is an in your face sort of thing just from driving thru and seeing those billboards about it.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, you're welcome to come back at me in defense. Sometimes, I feel like the south is a different planet. I'm from the NY area and the mentality seems far more advanced and modern, where in the south the mentality seems stuck in time.

I cannot fathom having a school up here allowed to paddle children. It would feel like we went back 50 years. With all the perverts out there, I find it hard to believe ANYONE would sign to allow their kid to be paddled by an instructor. Where I live, this just doesn't happen.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
Momof697
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:28 PM
6 moms liked this

I grew up in the horth and still live there. I wish our public woud paddle the students maybe they wouldn't need the police officer in the school full time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I believe this is accurate.

Quoting supercarp:

The ratio of uneducated/educated people is greater in the south.

SpnFulOfSugar
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I have always lived in rural ga and spanking in schools has not been common here since before I was born and I'm 27.
256bamamom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM
12 moms liked this

Not everything "new or advanced or modern" is better or more positive.......and frankly....there has always been a difference in South vs North.....just sayin....

PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I couldn't be okay with schools spanking my kids. Mainly because I think I should be the only one to do this AND who knows if they are doing it for the 'right' reasons. I think that's all so weird that, that still exists.

Countess79
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM
5 moms liked this
I'm live in and was raised in New York & everybody in my church spanks and it has nothing to do with religion it just has to do with the fact that we agree that children need to be taught boundaries and discipline!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not trying to start a debate. But I've been wondering this for years. Why is it, parents who live in the south (not all) seem so supportive of corporal punishment? I live up north, and I know many parents who are more with the times about so many subjects not having anything to do with parenting, compared to the south. They still paddle children in schools in the south (which seems perverted btw).

It's beyond my comprehension why after all the tons of research studies done, children would still be getting whipped with belts, and paddled in schools anywhere in this country. Why do southerners, like down in LA or AL for instance seem so die hard on this subject. 

I can list a bunch of things that seem rampant in the south, but not in the north. Corporal punishment seems to be way more excepted. And children do not behave better down south than they do up north.  

Is it a religion thing? I know the christian religion is an in your face sort of thing just from driving thru and seeing those billboards about it.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, you're welcome to come back at me in defense. Sometimes, I feel like the south is a different planet. I'm from the NY area and the mentality seems far more advanced and modern, where in the south the mentality seems stuck in time.

I cannot fathom having a school up here allowed to paddle children. It would feel like we went back 50 years. With all the perverts out there, I find it hard to believe ANYONE would sign to allow their kid to be paddled by an instructor. Where I live, this just doesn't happen.

redneckmama4
by Loree on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I've noticed a HUGE difference.

It all comes down to knowledge and the willingness to change behavior.

We are more liberal up here, with open minds. We are healthier too!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM
4 moms liked this
Why would that make you think anything perverted? It's not like they strip the kids down first.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, I don't understand. Wouldn't u worry whoever was doing the paddling was getting off on it? I mean, allowing someone, essentially a stranger paddle my child's behind sounds not only crazy, but perverted. 

Quoting silverdawn99:

I spank and if the occasion arises in school I will allow them to spank them but our school doesn't do corporal punishment

Countess79
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM
18 moms liked this
just because the people in the South speak slow don't mean they think slow..

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe this is accurate.

Quoting supercarp:

The ratio of uneducated/educated people is greater in the south.

redneckmama4
by Loree on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM
5 moms liked this
A lot of parents teach those without physical interaction.

Quoting Countess79:

I'm live in and was raised in New York & everybody in my church spanks and it has nothing to do with religion it just has to do with the fact that we agree that children need to be taught boundaries and discipline!

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)