Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents in the South seem so different than up North

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm not trying to start a debate. But I've been wondering this for years. Why is it, parents who live in the south (not all) seem so supportive of corporal punishment? I live up north, and I know many parents who are more with the times about so many subjects not having anything to do with parenting, compared to the south. They still paddle children in schools in the south (which seems perverted btw).

It's beyond my comprehension why after all the tons of research studies done, children would still be getting whipped with belts, and paddled in schools anywhere in this country. Why do southerners, like down in LA or AL for instance seem so die hard on this subject. 

I can list a bunch of things that seem rampant in the south, but not in the north. Corporal punishment seems to be way more excepted. And children do not behave better down south than they do up north.  

Is it a religion thing? I know the christian religion is an in your face sort of thing just from driving thru and seeing those billboards about it.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, you're welcome to come back at me in defense. Sometimes, I feel like the south is a different planet. I'm from the NY area and the mentality seems far more advanced and modern, where in the south the mentality seems stuck in time.

I cannot fathom having a school up here allowed to paddle children. It would feel like we went back 50 years. With all the perverts out there, I find it hard to believe ANYONE would sign to allow their kid to be paddled by an instructor. Where I live, this just doesn't happen.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
abecee
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM
3 moms liked this

Corporal punishment is abuse.  I don't inflict pain on my children and no one else will.

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I think a lot of has to do with just what is considered accepted behavior for each region. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM
14 moms liked this
I bet the ratio of respectful/ disrespectful people is also greater in the south.

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe this is accurate.

Quoting supercarp:

The ratio of uneducated/educated people is greater in the south.

Nysa
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I agree on the back in time part. We moved to Charleston, SC and have decided that we live in 1998. The trends, the clothes, the stores, everything. There are actually Blockbuster Video stores here. I hadn't seen one of those since 2007 before I moved.

I haven't seen any corporal punishment issues, but I also managed to find a little neighborhood outside of Charleston where almost everyone is not from here. It is kind of amusing to see that everyone has those same thoughts of having traveled back in time.

Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM
9 moms liked this
Shut up with that whole "kids who don't get spanked are hoodlums" attitude. Seriously... it's ignorant. I've learned how to discipline without causing my child physical pain. Are you jealous? You should be. My son behaves because he RESPECTS me, not because he's afraid of being hurt by me.

Also, you are FULL OF SHIT. There is no way you know how every single kid in that class is disciplined.

Quoting Anonymous:

They paddle at ds school. He has never been paddled though, my guess would be because he gets spanked at home so he knows how to act. I honestly know maybe 3 families that don't spank their children. Those children are the ones the teachers dread having in their class.
Countess79
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Ugh yeah most northerners are more liberal which is not necessarily a good thing..

As to the northerners being more healthy I don't even hardly think so.. not all southerners have nothing but fish fry or fried chicken etc

and yes there are differences based on how those groups were raised but it has very little to do with North vs South it has a lot more to do with the cultural things such as some families were raised differently.. example there's an entire generation down south where they didn't have school because the schools closed down because the segregation..

Quoting redneckmama4:

I've noticed a HUGE difference.

It all comes down to knowledge and the willingness to change behavior.

We are more liberal up here, with open minds. We are healthier too!
April620
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm from the south and I don't put up with bullshit. I get it from my dad, he always gave me this "what the hell do you think you're doing?" look when I acted up as a kid that I now find myself giving to my dd lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM
well, thats just dumb. I never spanked, and my child has always been told they're a pleasure to have in class. You know, u don't need to spank for your children to know how to act. This does not answer my question why it seems to south is behind the times on parenting. What part of spanking teaches how to act id like to know?
Quoting Anonymous:

They paddle at ds school. He has never been paddled though, my guess would be because he gets spanked at home so he knows how to act. I honestly know maybe 3 families that don't spank their children. Those children are the ones the teachers dread having in their class.

Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
My son knows boundaries and discipline... I don't spank. How do you explain that?

Quoting Countess79:

I'm live in and was raised in New York & everybody in my church spanks and it has nothing to do with religion it just has to do with the fact that we agree that children need to be taught boundaries and discipline!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not trying to start a debate. But I've been wondering this for years. Why is it, parents who live in the south (not all) seem so supportive of corporal punishment? I live up north, and I know many parents who are more with the times about so many subjects not having anything to do with parenting, compared to the south. They still paddle children in schools in the south (which seems perverted btw).

It's beyond my comprehension why after all the tons of research studies done, children would still be getting whipped with belts, and paddled in schools anywhere in this country. Why do southerners, like down in LA or AL for instance seem so die hard on this subject. 

I can list a bunch of things that seem rampant in the south, but not in the north. Corporal punishment seems to be way more excepted. And children do not behave better down south than they do up north.  

Is it a religion thing? I know the christian religion is an in your face sort of thing just from driving thru and seeing those billboards about it.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, you're welcome to come back at me in defense. Sometimes, I feel like the south is a different planet. I'm from the NY area and the mentality seems far more advanced and modern, where in the south the mentality seems stuck in time.

I cannot fathom having a school up here allowed to paddle children. It would feel like we went back 50 years. With all the perverts out there, I find it hard to believe ANYONE would sign to allow their kid to be paddled by an instructor. Where I live, this just doesn't happen.

zoo003
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I think it comes down to different attitudes, beliefs and thinking patterns (not implying that one is right or wrong, just different).  I live in Oregon and I am personally very happy that schools here are not allowed to spank students.  It is something that I would not want to have within our schools.  However, this is just my opinion.  Actually, until cm, I did not even realize that some schools still did this (probably ignorance on my part, but just not something that I thought still occurred).   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)