Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents in the South seem so different than up North

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm not trying to start a debate. But I've been wondering this for years. Why is it, parents who live in the south (not all) seem so supportive of corporal punishment? I live up north, and I know many parents who are more with the times about so many subjects not having anything to do with parenting, compared to the south. They still paddle children in schools in the south (which seems perverted btw).

It's beyond my comprehension why after all the tons of research studies done, children would still be getting whipped with belts, and paddled in schools anywhere in this country. Why do southerners, like down in LA or AL for instance seem so die hard on this subject. 

I can list a bunch of things that seem rampant in the south, but not in the north. Corporal punishment seems to be way more excepted. And children do not behave better down south than they do up north.  

Is it a religion thing? I know the christian religion is an in your face sort of thing just from driving thru and seeing those billboards about it.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, you're welcome to come back at me in defense. Sometimes, I feel like the south is a different planet. I'm from the NY area and the mentality seems far more advanced and modern, where in the south the mentality seems stuck in time.

I cannot fathom having a school up here allowed to paddle children. It would feel like we went back 50 years. With all the perverts out there, I find it hard to believe ANYONE would sign to allow their kid to be paddled by an instructor. Where I live, this just doesn't happen.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (31-40):
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM
No I trust their school. Usually they tell you the offense and how many. If it was in excess or their pants was pulled down then I would have a problem
But again our school doesn't do corporal punishment

Quoting Anonymous:

So, I don't understand. Wouldn't u worry whoever was doing the paddling was getting off on it? I mean, allowing someone, essentially a stranger paddle my child's behind sounds not only crazy, but perverted. 

Quoting silverdawn99:

I spank and if the occasion arises in school I will allow them to spank them but our school doesn't do corporal punishment

Countess79
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
are you seriously going to tell another adult to shut up and then try to have them actually listen to anything you have to say...

by the way shut up is such a valley girl thing..lol 80's

Quoting Snapdragon88:

Shut up with that whole "kids who don't get spanked are hoodlums" attitude. Seriously... it's ignorant. I've learned how to discipline without causing my child physical pain. Are you jealous? You should be. My son behaves because he RESPECTS me, not because he's afraid of being hurt by me.

Also, you are FULL OF SHIT. There is no way you know how every single kid in that class is disciplined.

Quoting Anonymous:

They paddle at ds school. He has never been paddled though, my guess would be because he gets spanked at home so he knows how to act. I honestly know maybe 3 families that don't spank their children. Those children are the ones the teachers dread having in their class.
M_Cox
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in the South. It's disgusting how often parents spank their kids. They've started this "time-out and spanking" crap. I don't see why they think both will work. 

I don't spank. I love and respect my son too much to do that. 

Mrs.Suits08
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM
4 moms liked this

Well y'all yankees are just pansys..
I AM JUST KIDDING! lol
I don't know, I got the hickry switch and the belt when I was young, didn't bother me none.
But NO ONE but my mom and nanny was allowed to whoop me.
  No school official could, my mom went over the desk on the principal for whipping my older sister once.
I would never let a school paddle my kids.
You do have to sign a paper in a lot of school to omit from paddling or allow them.
The south and north seem like two seperate countries come times.
It's just how some schools are. Every area is diffrent, I can go to a city a mile away and spot 100 diffrences. All people are diffrent.
(I really was kidding with the yankee joke, please do not be offended.)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I have lived in the south and now in the north. Dont really see the difference.
Countess79
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
well I'm assuming that you still. Your child and you still teach them right from wrong but that doesn't mean the spanking doesnt do the same thing..

Quoting Snapdragon88:

My son knows boundaries and discipline... I don't spank. How do you explain that?

Quoting Countess79:

I'm live in and was raised in New York & everybody in my church spanks and it has nothing to do with religion it just has to do with the fact that we agree that children need to be taught boundaries and discipline!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not trying to start a debate. But I've been wondering this for years. Why is it, parents who live in the south (not all) seem so supportive of corporal punishment? I live up north, and I know many parents who are more with the times about so many subjects not having anything to do with parenting, compared to the south. They still paddle children in schools in the south (which seems perverted btw).

It's beyond my comprehension why after all the tons of research studies done, children would still be getting whipped with belts, and paddled in schools anywhere in this country. Why do southerners, like down in LA or AL for instance seem so die hard on this subject. 

I can list a bunch of things that seem rampant in the south, but not in the north. Corporal punishment seems to be way more excepted. And children do not behave better down south than they do up north.  

Is it a religion thing? I know the christian religion is an in your face sort of thing just from driving thru and seeing those billboards about it.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, you're welcome to come back at me in defense. Sometimes, I feel like the south is a different planet. I'm from the NY area and the mentality seems far more advanced and modern, where in the south the mentality seems stuck in time.

I cannot fathom having a school up here allowed to paddle children. It would feel like we went back 50 years. With all the perverts out there, I find it hard to believe ANYONE would sign to allow their kid to be paddled by an instructor. Where I live, this just doesn't happen.

redneckmama4
by Loree on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Yeah, I've lived in the south and know exactly what they eat, ya know, the cultural thing. That is a fact.

Quoting Countess79:

Ugh yeah most northerners are more liberal which is not necessarily a good thing..

As to the northerners being more healthy I don't even hardly think so.. not all southerners have nothing but fish fry or fried chicken etc

and yes there are differences based on how those groups were raised but it has very little to do with North vs South it has a lot more to do with the cultural things such as some families were raised differently.. example there's an entire generation down south where they didn't have school because the schools closed down because the segregation..

Quoting redneckmama4:

I've noticed a HUGE difference.

It all comes down to knowledge and the willingness to change behavior.

We are more liberal up here, with open minds. We are healthier too!
christi34
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM
3 moms liked this

Here in Louisiana the parents have a choice, to either let the child be paddled or if that child gets in trouble they will be suspended. With that being said, most of the kids I have seen at my sons school has no respect for their teachers or their parents. Those are the ones that end up getting suspended for not being able to get paddled. 

I can honestly say, my child does not get paddled by me and has never been paddled by the school, but if need be, the school has my permission. With that being said I know my child will do anything to stay out of the office unless he's there to turn someone else's referral in.

It's all about respect and a lot of these kids have no respect for anyone.

P.e.b.b.l.e.s
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Momof697:

I grew up in the horth and still live there. I wish our public woud paddle the students maybe they wouldn't need the police officer in the school full time.

Totally agree with you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Honey I honest to god was told by my 23 yr old coworker who is a member of a very religous church, and still lives at home with his mom that he gets his ass whipped daily. I said. Wtf did u say? He repeated to me he got "whippings" i said fuck that. but they are die hard christain and this boy has like the mind of a 13/14 yr old kid even though he is a grown man. and he drives you crazy as fuck trying to work with him. I honestly would probley still whip his ass too if i was his momma lol he is omg annoying. but no there has to be a better way lady... right? Well another girl i work with is goin to tell her its wrong to hit this guy. i am just like wow. then the poor kid says please dont tell noone. wow. crazy shit. and he was serious. 23!!! Whippings!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured