Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents in the South seem so different than up North

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm not trying to start a debate. But I've been wondering this for years. Why is it, parents who live in the south (not all) seem so supportive of corporal punishment? I live up north, and I know many parents who are more with the times about so many subjects not having anything to do with parenting, compared to the south. They still paddle children in schools in the south (which seems perverted btw).

It's beyond my comprehension why after all the tons of research studies done, children would still be getting whipped with belts, and paddled in schools anywhere in this country. Why do southerners, like down in LA or AL for instance seem so die hard on this subject. 

I can list a bunch of things that seem rampant in the south, but not in the north. Corporal punishment seems to be way more excepted. And children do not behave better down south than they do up north.  

Is it a religion thing? I know the christian religion is an in your face sort of thing just from driving thru and seeing those billboards about it.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, you're welcome to come back at me in defense. Sometimes, I feel like the south is a different planet. I'm from the NY area and the mentality seems far more advanced and modern, where in the south the mentality seems stuck in time.

I cannot fathom having a school up here allowed to paddle children. It would feel like we went back 50 years. With all the perverts out there, I find it hard to believe ANYONE would sign to allow their kid to be paddled by an instructor. Where I live, this just doesn't happen.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (41-50):
chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM
12 moms liked this
I live in the South and have my whole life. I got my ass whipped when I was a kid and deserved it. I have 2 kids...one in elementary and one in 8th grade. Both have went to a few schools and NONE of them use corporal punishment.

My husband is from the North and he grew up getting spankings as well. His whole family as well as friends grew up that way IN THE NORTH.

Please....don't make ignorant statements against the South.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Yes I do we live in a small town. I've been to just about every single child's house plus I am related to some of them. I talk to the parents because we are friends, we talk about discipline. I'm also related to some of the teachers. No I'm not jealous. I don't care how you discipline. My child is not perfect but he is a very sweet, respectful, and caring child.

Quoting Snapdragon88:

Shut up with that whole "kids who don't get spanked are hoodlums" attitude. Seriously... it's ignorant. I've learned how to discipline without causing my child physical pain. Are you jealous? You should be. My son behaves because he RESPECTS me, not because he's afraid of being hurt by me.

Also, you are FULL OF SHIT. There is no way you know how every single kid in that class is disciplined.

Quoting Anonymous:

They paddle at ds school. He has never been paddled though, my guess would be because he gets spanked at home so he knows how to act. I honestly know maybe 3 families that don't spank their children. Those children are the ones the teachers dread having in their class.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Because I was sexually abused by 3 different men on 3 different occasions growing up. There are way more perverts out there than most parents realize. So the thought of giving some stranger permission to paddle my childs behind is just plain PERVERTED!!!! do southerners not see that?? Iv seen video of it, they have them bend over and count. that is wierd. what the hell is wrong with detention?

Quoting Anonymous:

Why would that make you think anything perverted? It's not like they strip the kids down first.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, I don't understand. Wouldn't u worry whoever was doing the paddling was getting off on it? I mean, allowing someone, essentially a stranger paddle my child's behind sounds not only crazy, but perverted. 

Quoting silverdawn99:

I spank and if the occasion arises in school I will allow them to spank them but our school doesn't do corporal punishment

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Schools down here have those too :-(

Quoting Momof697:

I grew up in the horth and still live there. I wish our public woud paddle the students maybe they wouldn't need the police officer in the school full time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM
I live in Texas and my kids school has CP it's just the way of living. We live in a small town the biggest grade in our school is 40 students.
christi34
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm stubborn when it comes to certain things but I have never written something off as "hippy shit"!  I'm an Aquarius! I was never spanked as a child and I do not spank my child. So please re-phrase your post to "MOST" Southerners and not all Southerners. Thank you!

Quoting Snapdragon88:

It's just what people are used to around here. Southerners are also very stubborn, so any kind of new information is snubbed and written off as "hippy shit". I remember not thinking twice about my classmates getting paddled out in the hallway (I'm 25 now).

BUT... I do not spank and never will. My children are incredibly well behaved too. *Gasp!* Imagine that.

OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I was a teacher in the South and none of the schools that I knew of paddled children. I think that the trends are changing down there and you will see less and less corporal punishment. But to make the general statement that the North is more "advanced" and "modern" is pretty narrow minded. You have to remember that the Southern states are very poor states. The cities are actually pretty nice, but Southern states have wide rural areas where the "stuck in time" statement might be true. 

lga1965
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM
The elementary school my kids attended for three years in Florida allowed the Principal to paddle. My kids never got in trouble. But I would never agree to paddling . It is cruel and sadistic to use an item such as a,paddle. It won't hurt the adults's hand which is nice for the adult ......know what I am saying ? But a paddle will hurt and bruise the child.
It's rather common for adults to use power and paddling against kids in the south. It makes me very angry.
Quoting Snapdragon88:

It's just what people are used to around here. Southerners are also very stubborn, so any kind of new information is snubbed and written off as "hippy shit". I remember not thinking twice about my classmates getting paddled out in the hallway (I'm 25 now).

BUT... I do not spank and never will. My children are incredibly well behaved too. *Gasp!* Imagine that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM

they are not as educated in the south and also their are a lot of religious nuts down there.

christi34
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM

They do where I live, I live in Monroe!

Quoting my2joys:

I live in Louisiana and I didn't know schools still spanked. News to me but they won't be doing it to my kids!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN