Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Confession? I Slept with my brother for years and I don't see the big deal...

Ok, I really want to know how it is so cruel for opposite sex children to share a room, especially when they are babies. My cousin is pregnant and having a boy. She also has a daughter, who is two. She is currently living with her mother (temporarily due to an unexpected financial crisis) and she is going to have to put the baby in the room with her daughter. Her mother (my aunt) is making a big deal about how that is cruelty and she won't have it in her house. She says that they boy will be trying to invade his sister's privacy and will peek at her while she's changing. Wtf? He is at least 7 years away from even noticing that there is difference between girls and boys. She says it is perverted. I think she is stupid.

When I was a kid, we had a three bedroom house. My older brother was 5 years older. His bedroom was on the other side of the house. My room was across from my parents' room because I was younger and they wanted to be able to listen out for me. When I was 3, my younger brother was born. They couldn't put the baby on the other side of the house and expect the 8 year old to get up with him. They couldn't move the 8 year old and put the 3 year old on the other side of the house where they couldn't hear her incase of an emergency. They made the logical choice and put the baby in with me, when he was old enough. I loved having my little brother in the room with me and we grew up very close. When I was five and he was two, we moved to a bigger house with four bedrooms, all located conviently close to my parents' bedroom. Benny started getting out of his bed and sneaking into mine because he missed me. He slept in my bed for another six months. I don't see how that was abusive or cruel. I changed in the bathroom and he never invaded my privacy or peeked at me when I was getting dressed (not until we were much older but we were in seperate rooms by then and I kicked his ass once and that pretty much ended it). When my parents went through a rough patch in their marriage and were fighting a lot, both of us ended up in my older brother's bed a lot. Nothing inappropriate ever happened. We are now 21, 24 and 29 and we are still very close.

Seriously, what is the big deal?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
HyrulianHer0ine
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM

you do your best with what you have i dont think its a big deal. i know down here though to a certain age it is illegal for a boy and girl to share a room and cps will get themselves involved if found out

Mommy2Phenley
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM
My brother and I shared a room off and on until I was about 11. He's 4 years younger. I agree it's no big deal when they're young. I also agree with others that they should have privacy by puberty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I shared a bedroom with my brother and sister when I was 18. We lived in a 2 bedroom condo, so that's how we made it work. I think it's ridiculous that the grandmother is worried about a toddler and infant sharing a room.

Britania
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM

My 4 year old girl and my 5 year old boy share a room.  Works great for us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM
I shared a room with my brother when we were young. No big deal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Nothing wrong with siblings sharing rooms.  I think girls and boys need to be separated when they reach certain ages, if possible.  but some families can't.

My son had a friend who was an only child; my son having 2 brothers thought being an only was so great.

The only told my son, no you have the best, you have someone to talk to before you go to sleep.

meaganmac
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't see the logic in it. How do you know one or both of your 2 children of the same sex sharing a room isn't gay? It's stupid.

I shared a room with my younger (by 3 years) brother until I was 7 and then again for a year when I was 12. Neither of us were peeping at the other or becoming scarred by having to share a room. We already played together, so what difference did sleeping in the same room make? We changed our clothes in the bathroom, so that's a non-issue.

The people who have a problem with it are sexualizing children and that's shameful. They're the problem, not the sleeping arrangements of children.
Liastele
by Lauren on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I do not see a problem with kids sharing a room. Warm, fed, sheltered? Good enough. 

It is not cruel to have kids share a room.

rjmac88
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM
It isn't a big deal. I shared a bed with my sister and brother until I was 8. My girls and son just got separate rooms about 2 months ago when we moved and he is 2.5
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Until I was about 11 we had only ever lived in 2 bedroom homes, so i always had to share with my younger brother. it wasnt that big of a deal until i started to hit puberty at almost 10 and then they made the dining room into a room for my brother and then we had our own places. now that i think about it my brother always got the short stick when it came to our rooms. poor him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)