Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Confession? I Slept with my brother for years and I don't see the big deal...

Ok, I really want to know how it is so cruel for opposite sex children to share a room, especially when they are babies. My cousin is pregnant and having a boy. She also has a daughter, who is two. She is currently living with her mother (temporarily due to an unexpected financial crisis) and she is going to have to put the baby in the room with her daughter. Her mother (my aunt) is making a big deal about how that is cruelty and she won't have it in her house. She says that they boy will be trying to invade his sister's privacy and will peek at her while she's changing. Wtf? He is at least 7 years away from even noticing that there is difference between girls and boys. She says it is perverted. I think she is stupid.

When I was a kid, we had a three bedroom house. My older brother was 5 years older. His bedroom was on the other side of the house. My room was across from my parents' room because I was younger and they wanted to be able to listen out for me. When I was 3, my younger brother was born. They couldn't put the baby on the other side of the house and expect the 8 year old to get up with him. They couldn't move the 8 year old and put the 3 year old on the other side of the house where they couldn't hear her incase of an emergency. They made the logical choice and put the baby in with me, when he was old enough. I loved having my little brother in the room with me and we grew up very close. When I was five and he was two, we moved to a bigger house with four bedrooms, all located conviently close to my parents' bedroom. Benny started getting out of his bed and sneaking into mine because he missed me. He slept in my bed for another six months. I don't see how that was abusive or cruel. I changed in the bathroom and he never invaded my privacy or peeked at me when I was getting dressed (not until we were much older but we were in seperate rooms by then and I kicked his ass once and that pretty much ended it). When my parents went through a rough patch in their marriage and were fighting a lot, both of us ended up in my older brother's bed a lot. Nothing inappropriate ever happened. We are now 21, 24 and 29 and we are still very close.

Seriously, what is the big deal?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM
My brother and I shared a room in middle school and my step sister and I shared in high school. I don't see the big deal either. My kids are 4 and 6 and they have their own room. However, they hate sleeping alone so 9/10 they sneak into each others rooms or crawl in bed with mommy and daddy.
lifeforchrist
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM

my best friend had two brothers who shared a room with her and they molested her. That's why you seperate, because you can never know.

Cukimonster
by Cuki on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I don't see an issue. I think by the time they are old enough to get embarrassed about their bodies, it would be best if they can have their own rooms. But, it's not always possible, sometimes we just have to make the best out of what we have. Really though I don't see anything wrong with kids that young sharing a room, except maybe the baby crying and waking up the toddler.
alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM
I don't see the issue when they are younger. I think the problems come when one is approaching puberty.
ann202124
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Its not a big deal unless people make it one.

flashbranding
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM
My older two had to share a room while I was a single mom. One boy, one girl. They did until he was 5 and she was 3. Then I got married and we gave them seperate rooms. FYI: DHS will say once they hit a certain age, opposite sex siblings can not share a room
cstargarner
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM

When my son and neice have sleepovers at our house or hers, we give them baths together and they're 4!  Oh, and they sleep in the same room.  She'd throw a fit over here! 

ahappymommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Ya know, a long time ago, EVERYONE slept in the same room, parents and siblings. Laura Ingalls didnt have a brother, but her parents and all her sisters slept in one big room in the cabin. Even later than that children shared beds and rooms to keep warm and because there wasnt enough rooms. And in other countries, all the children share rooms and even beds. 

This country is screwed in the head, all you mothers think every father in the world is out to molest his daughter and God forbid they help change or bath their daughters, they are all pervs dont ya know! 

Yes bad things happen, but not to everyone, yet we have turned ALL men,be it brothers, fathers, grandfathers and uncles into perverts who want to molest children, and its sad!

Im amazed at the mothers on here, they get all wound up over the littlest things and its sad!

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:25 AM
I shared a bed with my brothers most of my childhood. I had my own bed for less than a year before we moved into my grandparents house. Then I slept on the couch. I don't see a huge problem with it either.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:25 AM
I don't see any issue with opposite sex kids sharing rooms unil they're close to puberty. Its definitely not cruelty.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN