Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Confession? I Slept with my brother for years and I don't see the big deal...

Ok, I really want to know how it is so cruel for opposite sex children to share a room, especially when they are babies. My cousin is pregnant and having a boy. She also has a daughter, who is two. She is currently living with her mother (temporarily due to an unexpected financial crisis) and she is going to have to put the baby in the room with her daughter. Her mother (my aunt) is making a big deal about how that is cruelty and she won't have it in her house. She says that they boy will be trying to invade his sister's privacy and will peek at her while she's changing. Wtf? He is at least 7 years away from even noticing that there is difference between girls and boys. She says it is perverted. I think she is stupid.

When I was a kid, we had a three bedroom house. My older brother was 5 years older. His bedroom was on the other side of the house. My room was across from my parents' room because I was younger and they wanted to be able to listen out for me. When I was 3, my younger brother was born. They couldn't put the baby on the other side of the house and expect the 8 year old to get up with him. They couldn't move the 8 year old and put the 3 year old on the other side of the house where they couldn't hear her incase of an emergency. They made the logical choice and put the baby in with me, when he was old enough. I loved having my little brother in the room with me and we grew up very close. When I was five and he was two, we moved to a bigger house with four bedrooms, all located conviently close to my parents' bedroom. Benny started getting out of his bed and sneaking into mine because he missed me. He slept in my bed for another six months. I don't see how that was abusive or cruel. I changed in the bathroom and he never invaded my privacy or peeked at me when I was getting dressed (not until we were much older but we were in seperate rooms by then and I kicked his ass once and that pretty much ended it). When my parents went through a rough patch in their marriage and were fighting a lot, both of us ended up in my older brother's bed a lot. Nothing inappropriate ever happened. We are now 21, 24 and 29 and we are still very close.

Seriously, what is the big deal?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Replies (41-50):
2girlsandadream
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM
I shared a room with my brother till he turned 18 and moved out. I was 16. I see bothing wrong with it if it has to happen. Especially while young.
BaconQueen
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:33 AM

im 19 and my little brother is 16 and when I visit my dad sometimes I sleep in my little brothers bed with him! We are brother and sister there is nothing nasty or perverted about it!!

lovelife350
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:35 AM

i dont see the big deal at that age.just wondering, why cant the baby share a room with the mother? i would have more of a problem of the newborn waking up the two year old ever time the newborn woke up.

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

A newborn is going to invade privacy and peek?  LOL - I think your aunt has a few screws loose!

My older son and youngest daughter shared a bedroom for a few months when he was a newborn and she was 3.5.  We lived in a three bedroom house and our other two girls shared the other kid-bedroom.  But, when we got pregnant again a few months after DS#1 was born, we rearranged the bedrooms to give all three girls the large converted attic bedroom and put our son and the new baby (another boy) in a room together.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with room sharing -- my four younger kids still share bedrooms now -- even for opposite gender kids when they are younger....up to age 8-9.

rissamom224
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM
I agree, I know here in fla its against the law to have a boy and girl (any age) share a room.
If Cps happens to show up and your 1 yro son shares a room with a two year old sister, you have to kove somewhere bigger or they get removed.!.!
I mean I wouldn't suggest a 13 yro boy with a 4 year old girl. But its not something new.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyParent
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM
My kids share a room Ds is 8, dd is almost 4. They chose to do that and have a playroom
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Not true. Only in cases of foster care and such. No state has a law preventing biological siblings sharing rooms.

Quoting rissamom224:

I agree, I know here in fla its against the law to have a boy and girl (any age) share a room.

If Cps happens to show up and your 1 yro son shares a room with a two year old sister, you have to kove somewhere bigger or they get removed.!.!

I mean I wouldn't suggest a 13 yro boy with a 4 year old girl. But its not something new.
babie113
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:43 AM
I dont see a problem especially babies .plus I dont think shel be living with her till her boy is old enough to perve.

I had my own room till around 12 my brother who was 11 moved into my room and he never perved on me .we both loved it because our house was haunted we felt safer in the same room
sunangel803
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I think when they're younger, it's fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)