Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do some people keep calling Obamacare free healthcare?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 197 Replies

I get coverage through work so I don't qualify for Obamacare.  But out of curiosity I went on to the website to price it.  For my family it came to over $900 a month! Nowhere near affordable which is why I refuse to call it by that lie of a name. Even with the subsidy it would drop to over $700 a month.  But the subsidy is not given until you file taxes so in the mean time people like me will pay the higher price each month.  This is not affordable and nowhere near free!  So please stop referring to it as free healthcare! I also read this from someone on FB today:

"I actually made it through this morning at 8:00 A.M. I have a preexisting condition
(Type 1 Diabetes) and my income base was 45K-55K annually I chose tier 2 "Silver Plan" and my monthly premiums came out to $597.00 with $13,988 yearly deductible!!! There is NO POSSIBLE way that I can afford this so I "opt-out" and chose to continue along with no insurance. I received an email tonight at 5:00 P.M. informing me that my fine would be $4,037 and could be attached to my yearly income tax return. Then you make it to the "REPERCUSSIONS PORTION" for "non-payment" of yearly fine. First, your drivers license will be suspended until paid, and if you go 24 consecutive months with "Non-Payment" and you happen to be a home owner, you will have a federal tax lien placed on your home. You can agree to give your bank information so that they can easy "Automatically withdraw" your "penalties" weekly, bi-weekly or monthly! This by no means is "Free" or even "Affordable.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I think certain treatments, mostly preventitve care, are free. 

RobinBright
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I have no idea.  I, too, am covered by my employer-- but when I looked at the site to see what options I would have if I needed to buy my own plan, they were absolutely unaffordable.  $1000 a month is not "affordable care."

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

anon71
by Momma Squirrel on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Either they are stupid or they qualify for Medicaid.  For me it's certainly not FREE and it's damned sure not affordable.

anon71
by Momma Squirrel on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

P.S.  Don't believe anything you see on FB.

zoegirlsmom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I still haven't been able to get through on the site, maybe it's just my state.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not free when you have to pay close to a thousand a month.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think certain treatments, mostly preventitve care, are free. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Not affordable at all.
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Nope. Not free at all! We have insurance through work. We went on to see what our coats would be to compare. It would be $100 a month BUT it is paid post tax and must be paid in full before you can see a doctor. It is asinine!

Not free and not affordable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM

True but the high cost of the premiums which is what I am referring to is completely true as I priced it for myself.

Quoting anon71:

P.S.  Don't believe anything you see on FB.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)