Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dont laugh at me.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have never been taught to cook. ): I know, sounds stupid. Im 25.

I want to impress my SO tonight when he gets off work.
So, I can make spaghetti but rather not. Lol

I have chicken breasts.
Steaks.
Pork chops.
Hamburger.

What are some easy recipes you ladies do?

Oh and before you start bashing, we do eat homemade meals. The are made by SO. (;

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Check out interest. There are some super easy recipes, that are awesome. I just made shrimp scampi that came out really good that I got from there.
aandt1999
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Cook and chop up the pork chops. Put them over rice with bell peppers and pineapples. Add some sweet and sour sauce. Looks great and tastes wonderful! Easy too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM
I am laughing at myself bc its ridiculous but I have never made a steak before.

I refuse to cook bc I tried making a hamburger once and the entire house was filled with smoke. I was embarrassed horribly.

Quoting gmadiane:

make a couple steaks, throw some potatoes in the oven and make a salad, thats simple but good

gmadiane
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM

dont feel bad we all learn at some time, just remember turn on the exhaust fan if you have one and dont turn the heat up too high, you will be fine I promise

Quoting Anonymous:

I am laughing at myself bc its ridiculous but I have never made a steak before.

I refuse to cook bc I tried making a hamburger once and the entire house was filled with smoke. I was embarrassed horribly.

Quoting gmadiane:

make a couple steaks, throw some potatoes in the oven and make a salad, thats simple but good

mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM
No way would I laugh at you. When I got married at 26 I couldn't cook anything.
I attempted a homemade pie crust and according to the recipe if you didn't have pie weights (wtf is a pie weight said my 26 yo self) you could use dry beans or dry rice.
Well the recipe did not specify to take the dry rice out of the bag. Doh!!
I smelled smoke and heard the rice pinging in the oven and felt like a total moron.

Im now 33 and I learned by experiment and to this day still prefer cooking with a recipe.
Luckily I haven't poisoned anyone yet.
MotherOfBee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM
This! And google is also your friend. I'm 24 and I was never taught to cook so I get alot of recipes online. I print them and make my own recipe book. If I have to add things, I add it to the recipe page. Good luck!

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I suggest allrecipe.com, it is a great place to start looking for great recipes. 

lacyleanne
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

This...I get emails all the time from that website that I use almost daily. Very easy recipes too. 

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I suggest allrecipe.com, it is a great place to start looking for great recipes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM
I think you are right.

I looked the recipe up on allrecipe.com like another suggested.... Looks easy. (:
I don't have the onion and few other ingredients so I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Any tips? Lol

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Meatloaf would be the easiest IMO

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Thank you. The rice made me laugh (:

I am going to attempt meat loaf tomorrow. Someone else suggested it and the recipe looks easy.

Start small and build up my confidence.... I know I need to start at least trying.

Quoting mandaschelle:

No way would I laugh at you. When I got married at 26 I couldn't cook anything.

I attempted a homemade pie crust and according to the recipe if you didn't have pie weights (wtf is a pie weight said my 26 yo self) you could use dry beans or dry rice.

Well the recipe did not specify to take the dry rice out of the bag. Doh!!

I smelled smoke and heard the rice pinging in the oven and felt like a total moron.

Im now 33 and I learned by experiment and to this day still prefer cooking with a recipe.

Luckily I haven't poisoned anyone yet.

PoisonEyeV
by _ on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM

As long as you have eggs and bread...or crackers you'll be fine.

I will just give you a quick run down of what I do.

Take a large bowl. Throw in the meat. Tear it apart with your fingers and kind of squeeze it up a bit like you're working with playdough. Kneed it with your knuckles etc.

Add your bread crumbs/crackers and eggs

Mix again

Add salt, pepper, garlic if you wish

Mix again

Put it in a glass, oven safe dish

Press it in there and make it as even as you can. DON'T make it super thick because it will take a lot longer to bake. I would say no thicker then 2 inches. 

Most important part is making little 'pathways' around your meatloaf. Take your four fingers and separate the meat from the sides of the glass. This will provide a good area for the grease so it doesn't bubble over and create a gross mess.

I *believe* I put mine in at 375 for about an hour and a half. Sometimes it's done, sometimes it's not. I might stick it back in for about 15 minute intervals and keep rechecking.

When it's almost done, put ketchup on the top (or whatever you decide) A mixture of open pit and ketchup is really good too. Then pop it back in the oven for about 5-8 minutes.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you are right.

I looked the recipe up on allrecipe.com like another suggested.... Looks easy. (:
I don't have the onion and few other ingredients so I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Any tips? Lol

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Meatloaf would be the easiest IMO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured