Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Background Check?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

Okay so I was shopping with my friend one day and I had my two kids with me. We went in seperate dressing rooms and tried things on. Well She had stole some stuff and put it in her bag. Which she met me out of the dressing room when she was done and put her bag under my stroller. I had no idea. So as we are leaving we get stopped and asked to go back in. They ask to search our bags and I said yes. Well she had stuff in her bag and she told them it was hers and not mine. Well they said they would still have to charge me with conspiracy! Cops came and they did not arrest us and let us go with a ticket. We get to court and I had no proof that I didn't know about it so I just got it expunged off my record since I have never been in trouble before. In May it will be a year since my court date and it will then be off my record. Also I am no longer friends with that friend since she was just trouble. This all happened in TN. I have now moved to the other side of the Untited States to the West Coast and trying to get a job. Im wondering if they do a back ground check will that show up from TN and that its being expunged?? I have no idea how all that works. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csxt99
by Jennifer on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:45 AM

It will not show up as expunged until it actually is expunged.  Otherwise, it will show up as a conviction.  I know in Ohio that you have to [petition the court to have the case heard by a judge, and if the judge agrees, then it will be expunged.  It was not an automatic expungement.  It can also take six months to a year for the record to be completely cleared.  It sounds like you got a deferment.  I don't know if you have to go back to court to complete that process or if it automatically clears your record when the time is up.  You need to call your lawyer or the D.A.'s office that handled the prosecution.  They should be able to tell you how it all works.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:48 AM

It has to be actually expunged and ordered by a judge.. AND processed.

Trust me, this shit haunts you. Keep a copy of the expungement order at all times.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM
The judge did sign off saying it can be expunged and my lawyer got them to waive the expungement fee. Idk who my lawyer is :/ it was a oppointed one and I had to pay for the lawyer. But they did say it will come off a year after my court date. Ugh....

Quoting thefiregoddess:

It has to be actually expunged and ordered by a judge.. AND processed.

Trust me, this shit haunts you. Keep a copy of the expungement order at all times.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Run a background check on yourself after expungement date, I know someone who was expunged for a theft charge but it showed up on a FBI background check to teach.

Mrs_W
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
It will show up if you get finger printed
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM
It all depends really. I do hiring for our office and we usually only run the background check for NC unless you've lived in another state wwithin the past year. But, if its esponged, then no, it won't. But I got something 'dismissed' so not guilty or anything and it shows up. Here, you have to pay a lawyer to get it esponged.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Thank you! Thats what Im hoping that they will only run it for the state im in if not I guess I will just have to wait until May to look for a job :/ Its not like we need the money but Im dying to get out of the house and work :)

Quoting Anonymous:

It all depends really. I do hiring for our office and we usually only run the background check for NC unless you've lived in another state wwithin the past year. But, if its esponged, then no, it won't. But I got something 'dismissed' so not guilty or anything and it shows up. Here, you have to pay a lawyer to get it esponged.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:11 PM

See I have already ran a background check on myself ( which it was one of those free trail ones) and nothing showed up on it. It was clean. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Run a background check on yourself after expungement date, I know someone who was expunged for a theft charge but it showed up on a FBI background check to teach.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM
It will show up for the next 6 yrs
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM

If you haven't lived in your current state more than 5 years they will run a FBI background check (which returns records from all states). If it was expunged correctly, then your employer shouldn't see it. Some employers, however, have the ability to see expunged records. It depends on the level of clearance your employer has (which is determined by the scope of work you will be doing).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN