Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

CLOTH PAD'S FOR YOUR PERIODS... Instead of store bought ones!

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM
  • 107 Replies
3 moms liked this

Cloth pads are something I've written about several times before (here and here). Not only are they healthier to use (avoiding toxic chemicals in regular pads and tampons), but they are much friendlier on the environment and the trash can, as well as on our wallets. Pads may not seem all that expensive, but they add up quickly over the course of the year!

Admittedly, I haven't had a whole lot of use for pads during the greater part of our marriage (yay for that whole pregnancy, breastfeeding, pregnancy, breastfeeding cycle!), save for a few specific seasons. However, I very much wanted to avoid using conventional ones during my post-partum weeks, and to be prepared to use cloth pads full time whenever my cycles chooses to return after baby.

These are the ones that I have just finished making myself (with just a little help from a friend, my Nana, and my Nana's lovely sewing machine). I wish I could share the actual pattern, but it belongs to my friend who has plans to start making her own to sell as a small business, so I'll have to keep it our little secret. :)

Cloth-pads

Aren't they cute? (I know, that sounds so funny, but I love the cheery fabrics I used!)

You can see that I've made two heavier duty ones, perfect for nighttime, and two lighter ones. My friend is also blessing me abundantly with a little starter pack that she's creating, so I should have enough to definitely get me going.

What's great about these (aside from all the reasons I already mentioned), is that you can make them so cheap! For my fabrics, I used:

• old baby blankets (fleecy or thicker flannel ones are great for the absorbent middle layers). I also have an old towel set aside for this inner layer, for the next time that I make more.
  • some random pink fleece I just happened to have in my fabric box, for an outer lay with more grip than just cotton
  • old diaper covers, and the waterproof inner piece from a burping pad that I ripped open (both of these make a nice waterproof bottom layer)
  • any cotton print (the light pink floral was left over from a skirt I intended to make years ago; the dark purple floral I did purchase, but only from the clearance section during a member's sale at my favorite fabric store)

All told, I spent about $6 (including thread), and that was with plenty of leftover purple fabric that I made into a foldable diaper change pad for my diaper bag. The only thing I might still do is add either small snaps or velcro to the wings, but they can also just be used as is.

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2009/07/make-your-own-cloth-pads.html

What do you guys think.. I think I might actually try it.. 

It is definately GREEN.. And saves money..

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Kinda cool.  I don't use pads though.

Josie_P
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM

They are cute! Not something I would use, though.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I don't like pads. Its feels like a diaper. But that is awesome
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I think thats a really good idea. If I did it would feel sneaky though, I would hate for my dh to stumble upon a dirty one lol.

Chunkymunkey922
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I switchrd to cloth pads due to constant irritation. I can tell a difference and I do not have the irritation anymore. My only complaint is getting them to stay put. But I would not go back to regular pads
virgochild79
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM
3 moms liked this

I guess it's fine if you're into pads. They are uncomforable and gross to me. The only time I wear them is after I have a baby and have to.

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM

They are cute but I would never use them. I HATE pads and won't even use the store bought ones. When i have to use something I use Tampons but I have an IUD so I really have not had to use anything lately.

handy0318
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I'm OK with good planetary stewardship... I'm also into saving money.

But, when I'm on my period...not that I have them much any longer...I just don't want to have to think of having bloody cloth things to deal with. I'll just continue to use my biodegradable pads, throw them out once used... and reduce my carbon footprint some other way.

Here's a bump for others that might be interested though.

Chunkymunkey922
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Omg! That happened to me. I was sooo embarrassed! I had been washing them in the sink and dd got into somethinf so I had to get her, then my bf came over and I competely forgot them! Needless ro say he found them in the sink and was pretty confused

Quoting thenameshailie:

I think thats a really good idea. If I did it would feel sneaky though, I would hate for my dh to stumble upon a dirty one lol.

twade26
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

They look kind of bulky like you would be able to see them in your pants. What do you do when you are out in public and have to change it? What do you do with the used pad? How do you keep it from smelling if you aren't going straight home?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)