Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The best answer I have ever gotten from a Christian

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 65 Replies
5 moms liked this
I am not a Christian, nor do I believe in any God. One of my patients is a priest. He and I had a lengthy conversation today. I asked him why do Christians feel the need to push their views on others? Why do they care who goes to "heaven". He gave the best answer. He said God is a feeling, love and a way to live your life" He said God is within a person, but not a being that is tangibles. He said he personally is there to guide those who have questions and or those who are lost. But that he does not seek the lost. It is God will if they find him.

I think that he has given me a very intelligent, common sense answer I have ever heard.
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashwee356
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Interesting 

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM
8 moms liked this

I personally do not ever push my views or my faith onto others.  I feel very strongly about this.  But, when done with love, I can understand why some do. 

God is the most important thing to many people.  Have you ever had something that was so important to you that you didn't understand how other people didn't love it?  Have you ever watched a movie or a show or read an amazing book and thought "that was the best thing I have ever watched"? Didn't you probably tell the people closest to you that they should definitely watch/read it?  When someone was bored and didn't know what to do, you probably recommended that thing you love right?  It's like that with a lot of people and their belief.

The problem then comes when people become pushy lunatics.  I sure love me some Doctor Who, but I don't go around throwing Jelly Babies at people's faces.  I don't want laws made that only Doctor Who is allowed on anyone's television.  Most of the problems in the world today would be gone if people didn't take everything to the extreme, particularly faith. 

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Yeah, I am a Christian Naturalist. We don't recruit. We don't believe it can be forced and still be real!

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Yeah, priests/preachers tend to have that ability-considering they've gone to school (usually a Master's or higher in theology or divinity) and learned how.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:29 PM
i don't get it.
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:31 PM
2 moms liked this

If I believe that what I believe brings joy to every aspect of my life and I truly love you, I want that for you too! I want you to have the great thing I have!

kristen0812
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm catholic. I've never once pushed my views on another person. I respect everyone and their beliefs. I've had plenty shove their views down my throat though.
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Yes, this.

Quoting mommaponch:

I personally do not ever push my views or my faith onto others.  I feel very strongly about this.  But, when done with love, I can understand why some do. 

God is the most important thing to many people.  Have you ever had something that was so important to you that you didn't understand how other people didn't love it?  Have you ever watched a movie or a show or read an amazing book and thought "that was the best thing I have ever watched"? Didn't you probably tell the people closest to you that they should definitely watch/read it?  When someone was bored and didn't know what to do, you probably recommended that thing you love right?  It's like that with a lot of people and their belief.

The problem then comes when people become pushy lunatics.  I sure love me some Doctor Who, but I don't go around throwing Jelly Babies at people's faces.  I don't want laws made that only Doctor Who is allowed on anyone's television.  Most of the problems in the world today would be gone if people didn't take everything to the extreme, particularly faith. 

MrsErdos2011
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I agree with his answer. 

MrsErdos2011
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:38 PM

But there is a difference in giving someone something to think about and pushing it on to them. A single word or act could put them on the path but trying to force it could turn them away completely. I've had that happen with lots of things, books, movies, clothing even. 

Quoting faire_jour:

If I believe that what I believe brings joy to every aspect of my life and I truly love you, I want that for you too! I want you to have the great thing I have!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN