Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Edit in Red* How do you know when your child needs to move up a grade in school?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM
  • 142 Replies

Dd is in 1st grade. By the end of the year they should be reading 54 words per minute. She reads 91 words per minute.

I volunteer in her class, so I have worked with all the kids and she does seem to be advanced. She is just, IDk SO BORED there, she can't stand it. She hates the books she has to read for homework because they are so easy and repetitive and complains that she feels like she's in kindergarten again b/c it's all the same stuff, and she already knows it. Since she is struggling with being unhappy in school and not wanting to go everyday, I'm just kinda trying to think of possible solutions.

I don't even know if this would be an option, just wanted to hear other mom's experiences.

It's to the point that I am considering homeschooling so that she can go at her own individual pace. I did that with my older two kids. After a few years they wanted to go back to public school, and they did. The transition was a little hard at first, but now they are in high school and are both straight A students, and very advanced.

Thank you all for the advice! It has really helped me. I haven't even talked to her teacher yet but your comments have given me some really good things to consider:) After reading all of this, I'm not sure that moving her up, if that were an option is a good idea at all. Hopefully the school will have some alternatives. I just want her to enjoy learning, like she used to.

To the ladies who said my dd is basically immature b/c it's a struggle to get her to do her busy work homework, are you kidding me? She sits in school for 6 hours a day. Would you expect a 6 year old to be all happy about coming home and then having more boring work to do? She used to LOVE to read and now she hates it, because the books are stupid.

"Cat likes to eat. Cat likes to eat fish." bla bla bla

It's not like I don't try to supplement her reading with subjects she likes. She just hates that particular homework, and she has to do it. That hardly means she is immature.

Anyway, thanks again everyone:)

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM

BumP

RedMatador09
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM
5 moms liked this

I have never opted to move our daughter up even though it was suggested.  Instead she gets modified work so it is more advanced and she is in the gifted program.  Thankfully the school district here considers gifted and talented students as special education also, just at the opposite end of the spectrum.  

Talk to her teacher and see what can be done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I took my son out in Kindergarten. He was advanced in some areas, but mostly jost not able to deal with the structure of it. He was very young as well. He went back to regular school in 2nd grade (as an older kid) and did great. He is in college now, bright and happy and never looked back. Do what you need to do to support your daughter. 

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Happy to hear of your happy ending! Did your son like school when he was a bit older? I'm trying not to bring my own issues into this, like the fact that I hate public school, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

I took my son out in Kindergarten. He was advanced in some areas, but mostly jost not able to deal with the structure of it. He was very young as well. He went back to regular school in 2nd grade (as an older kid) and did great. He is in college now, bright and happy and never looked back. Do what you need to do to support your daughter. 

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Thank you. I am a little afraid to talk to her teacher just yet, b/c she gives out a ridiculous amount of homework as it is, and so I fear that if I say dd needs harder material, she will pile on MORE stuff. Getting her to do her homework is a struggle for sure.

Quoting RedMatador09:

I have never opted to move our daughter up even though it was suggested.  Instead she gets modified work so it is more advanced and she is in the gifted program.  Thankfully the school district here considers gifted and talented students as special education also, just at the opposite end of the spectrum.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I HATED school, so it was my worry too. I was worried, however, that the first experience was so bad (it was) and negative that there was no way it would be successful. I found a very sweet little charter school for him, and he stayed there through middle school. He went to an awesome, small arts based highschool with a lot of his friends from the other school, and did great there too. He loved his school experience. he really likes college. 

Quoting JackieGirl007:

Happy to hear of your happy ending! Did your son like school when he was a bit older? I'm trying not to bring my own issues into this, like the fact that I hate public school, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

AmazingAmanda
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My elementary school wanted me to skip the 4th or 5th grade. If my parents would have let me I might have graduated when I was 15. They said no. It was lame. That being said, my school brought it up to my parents.
Heisenberg
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:09 PM
4 moms liked this

I do an hour of challenging my daughter at home after school. Head to the teacher store and have at it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM
12 moms liked this

There is WAY more to consider than just reading..... current social skills, current emotional maturity, language, math, organizational skills, physical maturity, future (mainly middle school) social/emotional/organizational/physical maturity, fun 1st grade activities....

As a teacher I very rarely suggest bumping a grade. My DD was reading at a 4th reading level entering 1st grade, writing and spelling at a 3rd grade level, and doing math at a 2nd grade level. There was no way I'd bump her though. I choose to send her to a Montessori school, where she can work at her own pace with peers.

RedMatador09
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

A good teacher will understand that advanced doesn't mean more homework.  In class when the kids have to write a simple paragraph my daughter will be assigned to write a page with it being more descriptive, not simple sentences.  When she reads she has books that are at her level.  Ask about the gifted program.  Even if the school doesn't officially test until around the third grade which is normal, they often do have younger students go into the program unofficially.  Our daughter did that when she was in Kindergarten and it really helped.  

I would look at your school district's policies on the gifted program just to see what the requirements are.

Quoting JackieGirl007:

Thank you. I am a little afraid to talk to her teacher just yet, b/c she gives out a ridiculous amount of homework as it is, and so I fear that if I say dd needs harder material, she will pile on MORE stuff. Getting her to do her homework is a struggle for sure.

Quoting RedMatador09:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)