Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Edit in Red* How do you know when your child needs to move up a grade in school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Dd is in 1st grade. By the end of the year they should be reading 54 words per minute. She reads 91 words per minute.

I volunteer in her class, so I have worked with all the kids and she does seem to be advanced. She is just, IDk SO BORED there, she can't stand it. She hates the books she has to read for homework because they are so easy and repetitive and complains that she feels like she's in kindergarten again b/c it's all the same stuff, and she already knows it. Since she is struggling with being unhappy in school and not wanting to go everyday, I'm just kinda trying to think of possible solutions.

I don't even know if this would be an option, just wanted to hear other mom's experiences.

It's to the point that I am considering homeschooling so that she can go at her own individual pace. I did that with my older two kids. After a few years they wanted to go back to public school, and they did. The transition was a little hard at first, but now they are in high school and are both straight A students, and very advanced.

Thank you all for the advice! It has really helped me. I haven't even talked to her teacher yet but your comments have given me some really good things to consider:) After reading all of this, I'm not sure that moving her up, if that were an option is a good idea at all. Hopefully the school will have some alternatives. I just want her to enjoy learning, like she used to.

To the ladies who said my dd is basically immature b/c it's a struggle to get her to do her busy work homework, are you kidding me? She sits in school for 6 hours a day. Would you expect a 6 year old to be all happy about coming home and then having more boring work to do? She used to LOVE to read and now she hates it, because the books are stupid.

"Cat likes to eat. Cat likes to eat fish." bla bla bla

It's not like I don't try to supplement her reading with subjects she likes. She just hates that particular homework, and she has to do it. That hardly means she is immature.

Anyway, thanks again everyone:)

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
Mrs_W
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM

This is why I homeschool.  I use books categorized by grade simply so I know what he should know, but that is about it.

So look into that or private school

bdidktn2
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM
This absolutely. My daughter is in 2nd grade and reading at a 6th grade level, and is in the highest level they offer in spelling, writing, and reading. But I know there's more than just these levels that keep her where she is. It's always the school that brings this up, they will not move a child on word of the parent. I would suggest possibly finding another school that may better suit her. My kids go to a charter school where they constantly test and put them on the levels they are at currently, and it works really well for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is WAY more to consider than just reading..... current social skills, current emotional maturity, language, math, organizational skills, physical maturity, future (mainly middle school) social/emotional/organizational/physical maturity, fun 1st grade activities....

As a teacher I very rarely suggest bumping a grade. My DD was reading at a 4th reading level entering 1st grade, writing and spelling at a 3rd grade level, and doing math at a 2nd grade level. There was no way I'd bump her though. I choose to send her to a Montessori school, where she can work at her own pace with peers.

NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I knew my son should have been moved up a grade on the first day of school orientation.  He was initially in the K-1 class (combo K and 1st, he was a 1st grader and this was his first time ever at school) and the kids were barely learning how to read.  At the time, my son was reading books like Harry Potter.  So I spoke with the teacher.  She and the 1-2 teacher (combo 1st and 2nd) tested him briefly on his reading, then moved him up to the 1-2 class, though he was still technically a 1st grader.

However, after a couple weeks, the teacher suggested to me that he be moved up to 2nd grade as he was far beyond what the 1st graders were doing.  He's now officially in 2nd grade, having officially skipped 1st.  If we move, he will be a second grader in whatever school he attends (if we don't homeschool).

He has had no social problems in being moved up... probably helps that they are combo classes, so he is still in a class with same-aged kids.  :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
That's why I homeschool. After my son was tested at his charter homeschool last year they wanted to move him to 3rd grade. He was 5! I refused because it's homeschool who cares about his official grade. Emotionally he's just now ready for kindergarten but he's doing 6th grade reading and 3-4 th grade in all other subjects.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM
My son was reading 130 words per minute last year at this time when he was in first grade. Moving him up a grade was never a consideration. It's great she can read quickly but she ask needs to expand her reading comprehension, which doesn't always go hand in hand with speed. Talk to her teacher about more complex books my son finished the Diary of A Wimpy Kid series around thanksgiving and the started Harry Potter. Diary is more of a boys book but there is another similar series that the girls in his class were reading.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM
The school will let you know :)
We all believe our children are the smartest
JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I really don't think they move kids up here very often. Her teacher tells me that she is so advanced. And of course we are prone to believe that our own child is the smartest! lol

Quoting Anonymous:

The school will let you know :)
We all believe our children are the smartest

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Sounds like she need quality, not quantity, or busy work. Maybe provide interesting things for her outside of school? 

Quoting JackieGirl007:

Thank you. I am a little afraid to talk to her teacher just yet, b/c she gives out a ridiculous amount of homework as it is, and so I fear that if I say dd needs harder material, she will pile on MORE stuff. Getting her to do her homework is a struggle for sure.

Quoting RedMatador09:

I have never opted to move our daughter up even though it was suggested.  Instead she gets modified work so it is more advanced and she is in the gifted program.  Thankfully the school district here considers gifted and talented students as special education also, just at the opposite end of the spectrum.  

Talk to her teacher and see what can be done.

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Yeah, I was planning on talking to her on the book thing. She does comprehend well. I was always a fast reader too and "gifted and talented". I wish I would have been challenged more in school because I got so bored I lost all interest, and in the end I didn't even graduate. I just don't want that for her:(

And way to go for your son! woo hoo:)

Quoting Anonymous:

My son was reading 130 words per minute last year at this time when he was in first grade. Moving him up a grade was never a consideration. It's great she can read quickly but she ask needs to expand her reading comprehension, which doesn't always go hand in hand with speed. Talk to her teacher about more complex books my son finished the Diary of A Wimpy Kid series around thanksgiving and the started Harry Potter. Diary is more of a boys book but there is another similar series that the girls in his class were reading.

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM

YES! That's exactly it. She HATES the busy work.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like she need quality, not quantity, or busy work. Maybe provide interesting things for her outside of school? 

Quoting JackieGirl007:

Thank you. I am a little afraid to talk to her teacher just yet, b/c she gives out a ridiculous amount of homework as it is, and so I fear that if I say dd needs harder material, she will pile on MORE stuff. Getting her to do her homework is a struggle for sure.

Quoting RedMatador09:

I have never opted to move our daughter up even though it was suggested.  Instead she gets modified work so it is more advanced and she is in the gifted program.  Thankfully the school district here considers gifted and talented students as special education also, just at the opposite end of the spectrum.  

Talk to her teacher and see what can be done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)