Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Edit in Red* How do you know when your child needs to move up a grade in school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Dd is in 1st grade. By the end of the year they should be reading 54 words per minute. She reads 91 words per minute.

I volunteer in her class, so I have worked with all the kids and she does seem to be advanced. She is just, IDk SO BORED there, she can't stand it. She hates the books she has to read for homework because they are so easy and repetitive and complains that she feels like she's in kindergarten again b/c it's all the same stuff, and she already knows it. Since she is struggling with being unhappy in school and not wanting to go everyday, I'm just kinda trying to think of possible solutions.

I don't even know if this would be an option, just wanted to hear other mom's experiences.

It's to the point that I am considering homeschooling so that she can go at her own individual pace. I did that with my older two kids. After a few years they wanted to go back to public school, and they did. The transition was a little hard at first, but now they are in high school and are both straight A students, and very advanced.

Thank you all for the advice! It has really helped me. I haven't even talked to her teacher yet but your comments have given me some really good things to consider:) After reading all of this, I'm not sure that moving her up, if that were an option is a good idea at all. Hopefully the school will have some alternatives. I just want her to enjoy learning, like she used to.

To the ladies who said my dd is basically immature b/c it's a struggle to get her to do her busy work homework, are you kidding me? She sits in school for 6 hours a day. Would you expect a 6 year old to be all happy about coming home and then having more boring work to do? She used to LOVE to read and now she hates it, because the books are stupid.

"Cat likes to eat. Cat likes to eat fish." bla bla bla

It's not like I don't try to supplement her reading with subjects she likes. She just hates that particular homework, and she has to do it. That hardly means she is immature.

Anyway, thanks again everyone:)

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM

That is a great idea, possibly finding a new school. Our charter school here doesn't start until 6th grade but maybe there are some I don't know about. Your dd is doing awesome!

Quoting bdidktn2:

This absolutely. My daughter is in 2nd grade and reading at a 6th grade level, and is in the highest level they offer in spelling, writing, and reading. But I know there's more than just these levels that keep her where she is. It's always the school that brings this up, they will not move a child on word of the parent. I would suggest possibly finding another school that may better suit her. My kids go to a charter school where they constantly test and put them on the levels they are at currently, and it works really well for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is WAY more to consider than just reading..... current social skills, current emotional maturity, language, math, organizational skills, physical maturity, future (mainly middle school) social/emotional/organizational/physical maturity, fun 1st grade activities....

As a teacher I very rarely suggest bumping a grade. My DD was reading at a 4th reading level entering 1st grade, writing and spelling at a 3rd grade level, and doing math at a 2nd grade level. There was no way I'd bump her though. I choose to send her to a Montessori school, where she can work at her own pace with peers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM
My son was found to be gifted while in Kindergarden. He was so far ahead of everyone. When he started falling asleep in class, his teacher caught on. That very day changed my baby boy. He's now in 5th grade with a 10-11th grade level in almost all subjects, including reading level.
Linagma03
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM

My youngest needed to be moved up but all I got from the school was excuses as to why they wouldn't. It was a small rurual school she knew every kid in the school so one of the excuses they gave me was "the peer pressure she would have" was a bunch of bull crap. She would be sick several days a week because she was so bored in school. I sent her to school several times anyway because I knew she was faking but the school called me and had me come get her because she had a bad headache and they couldn't give her anything. She would go 1 or 2 days a week do the entire weeks worth of school in less than one day and be bored the rest of the day. I fought with the school until the end of 2nd grade. I homeschooled her for 3,4,& 5 she wanted to go back to school for 6th grade. She tested at the end of the 6th grade level and so they put her in 6th but gave her advanced classes so that she was in advanced classes the rest of the way thru school. She breezed thru HS. 

incogNinja
by Whofflé on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Yeah two years ago my daughter was bumped to third from second. Same idea as your daughter. Bored to tears, getting lazy, very uninterested.. I basically had a meeting with the teacher to talk about providing her with additional more challenging work when the teacher actually suggested moving her simply because she was above grade level in all subjects not just one. We had to have a placement test done and a meeting with the principal, and finally he approved her change. She is much happier and still an honor roll student
JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Wow. Yeah this is why I am considering homeschool. I live in a fairly small town, and honestly our school system really sucks. Our state is one of the lowest in the nation. There are some awesome teachers, but the curriculum is terrible really. Even the teachers don't like it. There are also bad teachers, and dd's is one of them. My dd hates school, she tries to fake being sick too. Sometimes, she won't even do that, she will just straight up ask me if she can stay home with me.

Quoting Linagma03:

My youngest needed to be moved up but all I got from the school was excuses as to why they wouldn't. It was a small rurual school she knew every kid in the school so one of the excuses they gave me was "the peer pressure she would have" was a bunch of bull crap. She would be sick several days a week because she was so bored in school. I sent her to school several times anyway because I knew she was faking but the school called me and had me come get her because she had a bad headache and they couldn't give her anything. She would go 1 or 2 days a week do the entire weeks worth of school in less than one day and be bored the rest of the day. I fought with the school until the end of 2nd grade. I homeschooled her for 3,4,& 5 she wanted to go back to school for 6th grade. She tested at the end of the 6th grade level and so they put her in 6th but gave her advanced classes so that she was in advanced classes the rest of the way thru school. She breezed thru HS. 

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Wow, that's great. So moving her up was the solution? Good to know.

Quoting incogNinja:

Yeah two years ago my daughter was bumped to third from second. Same idea as your daughter. Bored to tears, getting lazy, very uninterested.. I basically had a meeting with the teacher to talk about providing her with additional more challenging work when the teacher actually suggested moving her simply because she was above grade level in all subjects not just one. We had to have a placement test done and a meeting with the principal, and finally he approved her change. She is much happier and still an honor roll student

incogNinja
by Whofflé on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Yes but I'd like to add the other responses make good and valid points. It's a combination of a lot of factors which they look at to determine readiness - emotionally socially etc , which is exactly what the principal said to us .. But both myself and my daughters teacher felt strongly that she was mature and very capable, and she really has been. She is in 5th grade this year, still doing very well.

Quoting JackieGirl007:

Quoting incogNinja:

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I agree. There are a lot of things to consider. I think emotionally/socially she has always been more mature than her age. She is the youngest of 5. It's so funny, she will giggle at kids her age, just like she will at her baby cousins because to her they are "cute", if that makes any sense. She is more like a big sister to her friends, very lovingly though. So socially, she is good to go. Emotionally, I'm not sure. She is very cautious and has a lot of anxiety.

Quoting incogNinja:

Yes but I'd like to add the other responses make good and valid points. It's a combination of a lot of factors which they look at to determine readiness - emotionally socially etc , which is exactly what the principal said to us .. But both myself and my daughters teacher felt strongly that she was mature and very capable, and she really has been. She is in 5th grade this year, still doing very well.

Quoting JackieGirl007:

Quoting incogNinja:

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM

You can start with asking the teacher and counselor.

Ours were not supportive - DS2 was on his second year of Kindy and had Kindy mastered but he was immature.  Give that boy downtime and you are in trouble.  I opted to homeschool him instead. 

Linagma03
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM

You might have to argue a lot to even get their attention. I argued for 2 years before I finally had it. She tested above grade level across the board but they refused, using stupid excuses. "She is so small it wouldn't be good for her" "Well the peer pressure could be a problem" like I said she knew every kid in the school. Besides what kind of peer pressure will there be when she goes from 1st to 2nd grade, and is still in class with friends? I didn't want her to get to the point of hating school so I took her out. The teacher was new when dd began and she wasn't willing to work anything out, even the principal was against giving her 2nd grade work in 1st grade but wouldn't give me a reason.

I wish you the best of luck with this. I hope she gets moved up.

Quoting JackieGirl007:

Wow. Yeah this is why I am considering homeschool. I live in a fairly small town, and honestly our school system really sucks. Our state is one of the lowest in the nation. There are some awesome teachers, but the curriculum is terrible really. Even the teachers don't like it. There are also bad teachers, and dd's is one of them. My dd hates school, she tries to fake being sick too. Sometimes, she won't even do that, she will just straight up ask me if she can stay home with me.

Quoting Linagma03:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)