Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Edit in Red* How do you know when your child needs to move up a grade in school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Dd is in 1st grade. By the end of the year they should be reading 54 words per minute. She reads 91 words per minute.

I volunteer in her class, so I have worked with all the kids and she does seem to be advanced. She is just, IDk SO BORED there, she can't stand it. She hates the books she has to read for homework because they are so easy and repetitive and complains that she feels like she's in kindergarten again b/c it's all the same stuff, and she already knows it. Since she is struggling with being unhappy in school and not wanting to go everyday, I'm just kinda trying to think of possible solutions.

I don't even know if this would be an option, just wanted to hear other mom's experiences.

It's to the point that I am considering homeschooling so that she can go at her own individual pace. I did that with my older two kids. After a few years they wanted to go back to public school, and they did. The transition was a little hard at first, but now they are in high school and are both straight A students, and very advanced.

Thank you all for the advice! It has really helped me. I haven't even talked to her teacher yet but your comments have given me some really good things to consider:) After reading all of this, I'm not sure that moving her up, if that were an option is a good idea at all. Hopefully the school will have some alternatives. I just want her to enjoy learning, like she used to.

To the ladies who said my dd is basically immature b/c it's a struggle to get her to do her busy work homework, are you kidding me? She sits in school for 6 hours a day. Would you expect a 6 year old to be all happy about coming home and then having more boring work to do? She used to LOVE to read and now she hates it, because the books are stupid.

"Cat likes to eat. Cat likes to eat fish." bla bla bla

It's not like I don't try to supplement her reading with subjects she likes. She just hates that particular homework, and she has to do it. That hardly means she is immature.

Anyway, thanks again everyone:)

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Replies (41-50):
TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I would talk to the teacher about enrichment/extra work.  I would never want my child to skip a grade.  School isn't just about books and tests...it is also about social development and being a year younger than everyone else can be stressful....especially on a very young child.

dawncs
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Honestly, I would not move her up a grade based on reading. If your older ones are in middle and high school, a lot has changed in the schools since then on academics. They are shifting a lot of course work to a younger and younger grade these days. What might have been unheard of having a first grader being introduced to algebra topics in math 10 or 15 years is now the normal in curriculum.

Quoting JackieGirl007:

Awesome. Her teacher told me she is already doing multiplication in math. She asked me how she knew this, and it's just because of her older siblings IMO. So it's not just reading.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well how is she in other subjects? It's not just about reading

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:52 PM
In 2nd grade my school suggested I take a test. I tested into the 4th grade (but behind where they currently were) They offered to move me into 3rd grade but my mom refused.

I'm kind of glad, looking back. I eventually stopped being bored and was happy. I was able to keep up without much effort, but still had to put forth some. I graduated 3rd in my class. To me doing well always boosted my confidence. I don't know if I would have fallen behind eventually if I had jumped to the next grade.
dawncs
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM

You need to remind her that her homework is a part of her grade. Tell her if she does not do her homework that it can take down her grade some and she might not pass onto the next grade with her friends which will result in her being bored with the same material again. There are strict teachers out there that no matter how well you do on the tests that they will give you a lower grade and maybe not pass you based on the homework. She might be ready academic wise for second grade, but she is not emotionally ready for it if she resists doing homework if it is busy work.

JamieBue38
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I would totally homeschool her. But there is always the option of skipping a grade...although she would miss half of 2nd grade by now. Maybe homeschooling would be best. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM

my oldest DD was suggested to skip 2nd grade and move straight to 3rd. I didn't make the switch with her because the grade she would be going into was huge, and the classes were big.

She is now in 11th grade and is average,maybe even a little behind, not advanced. I am glad I didn't move her up because I think she would be behind. 

JackieGirl007
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM

She doesn't mind doing work at all. She is just, plain bored with it. If it were work that was interesting or challenging she likes that. I disagree that her not enjoying homework means she is not emotionally ready for a higher grade. I'm not saying she IS ready either, but I don't think the two are connected.

Quoting dawncs:

You need to remind her that her homework is a part of her grade. Tell her if she does not do her homework that it can take down her grade some and she might not pass onto the next grade with her friends which will result in her being bored with the same material again. There are strict teachers out there that no matter how well you do on the tests that they will give you a lower grade and maybe not pass you based on the homework. She might be ready academic wise for second grade, but she is not emotionally ready for it if she resists doing homework if it is busy work.

JackieGirl007
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Quoting dawncs:

Honestly, I would not move her up a grade based on reading. If your older ones are in middle and high school, a lot has changed in the schools since then on academics. They are shifting a lot of course work to a younger and younger grade these days. What might have been unheard of having a first grader being introduced to algebra topics in math 10 or 15 years is now the normal in curriculum.

Quoting JackieGirl007:

Awesome. Her teacher told me she is already doing multiplication in math. She asked me how she knew this, and it's just because of her older siblings IMO. So it's not just reading.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well how is she in other subjects? It's not just about reading

I noticed that when my older two were in Kindergarten and 1st grade, they were already teaching them how to tell time, ect. I was kinda shocked, a lot has changed. They are now changing everything around again in my state.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:32 AM

When school is no longer productive to the point that the child isn't getting anything out of it. I'm happy that my childrens school does an gradual program for advanced kids. My son is in first, but is advanced in some subjects, so half the day he is in first with kids his age, and then for science and math he goes to a third grade classroom and he takes advanced reading which allows him to pick the books so they are on his level. This way he is getting an education instead of being bored and learning things he already knows, but he still gets to be around his own age group. 

HumanBeing
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:38 AM
With my oldest who is highly gifted they never even offered to skip him a grade but instead did blended learning. He was able to do lessons in a bunch of upper grades while still participating in stuff in his grade.

During other years the teachers supplemented his work. He was not bored. He is a little immature and couldn't handle skipping.

Now he's in fourth grade in a magnet program and doing incredibly well. He's identified highly gifted.

So find out what your school offers by asking the teacher. Also consider there may be a reason it hadn't been brought up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN