Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Will you tell your daughter the truth?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
About sex?

My parents told me that you can get pregnant after having sex one time. Although that is true the truth is you will only have a 24 hour window to actually get pregnant once a month. So what about all the other days in the month?

Will you tell your daughter the truth about a women's body and that actually knowing your cycles and knowing about that window? I honestly didn't learn about that until after my kids were born.

I want to tell my daughter the complete truth so she is truly aware of her own body. And maybe even plan accordingly before she has sex and avoid those certain days.

What is the fertile window?

The fertile window is made up of the days in the menstrual cycle where pregnancy is possible. The length of the fertile window has been determined by documenting the farthest away from ovulation that intercourse can result in conception. To determine the length of the fertile window and the probability of pregnancy relative to ovulation we need to know the maximum lifespan of the male sperm in the female reproductive tract. While the human ovum has a lifespan that is likely not more than 24 hours, making conception highly unlikely after the day of ovulation, the lifespan of the sperm is potentially longer and more variable.

I'm so surprised by how many women in here actually don't know the true facts of there own body. It's really sad.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

This.

Quoting vegaswife2011:

wtf, you're kidding correct? Yes I'll tell them and I'll tell them everything!

thejodigirl
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh. my. gosh. Please educate yourself before you do any "teaching"

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
i didnt even get a book! lol. all she said was " dont ever let a boy touch you... any where. do you understand me!?" lol i never let a boy touch me hahaha i waited for a MAN! rolol. i still laugh over that convo. :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Either did mine. She gave me a book to read, and said there ya go. I went years terrified that I had sex I could have gotten pregnant. I wish I was more educated with my own body. It's so sad lol but I want my dd to be prepared.

Quoting eesmommy:

i will tell her the truth. my mom told me nothing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
A teenager isn't familiar enough with her body to know when that 24 hour period is (which is actually false since semen can live in a female for about FIVE days).

So no, if I had a daughter, I wouldn't give her any false security about the odds of having unprotected sex. She'll learn the full truth when she's ready to start a family. Until then, I see nothing wrong with young girls thinking you can become pregnant after any unprotected sex.
notyoursoryours
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
24hrs is so wrong.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
In fact sperm can live from 5-7 days, but they become weaker by the day and it can take at the least 14 hours for the sperm to actually reach the egg.

But the fact of the matter is let's say the "week" of ovulation you can get pregnant because the sperm can live longer buuut you have 24 hours before that window closes.

What about the other days of the month when your not ovulating or your fertile days?

Quoting Presley77:

sperm can live longer than 24 hours so that doesn't mean you can only get pregnant from having sex that very day. But yes I will tell my girl the truth about her body.
Freela
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I will absolutely tell my daughters how their bodies work (I've still got my old copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility around to hand to them, though I will suggest they not use it for birth control!)  I never realized anything much about my cycle until I was ttc, simply because my mom didn't know herself.  I definitely want my girls to have that info a lot sooner than I did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM
What is the fertile window?

The fertile window is made up of the days in the menstrual cycle where pregnancy is possible. The length of the fertile window has been determined by documenting the farthest away from ovulation that intercourse can result in conception. To determine the length of the fertile window and the probability of pregnancy relative to ovulation we need to know the maximum lifespan of the male sperm in the female reproductive tract. While the human ovum has a lifespan that is likely not more than 24 hours, making conception highly unlikely after the day of ovulation, the lifespan of the sperm is potentially longer and more variable.

I actually have educated myself thank you since I tried to conceive for over a year.

Rude much?

Quoting thejodigirl:

Oh. my. gosh. Please educate yourself before you do any "teaching"

EmilyD83
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Sperm can stay alive for up to 3-5 days, not 24 hours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM
I ovulate twice a month so....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN