Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Something I haven't told my doctor

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
I have an appointment tomorrow at my doctors office for a blood test due to my condition. They have to check potassium levels and make sure I still have the capability of making blood.

Anyways, here is what I haven't mentioned in months ... That I stopped taking my blood pressure medication more than 6 months ago. Before you all tell me it's the silent killer and bad for me, I just want to say that every time I've been in the office since I quit taking it, my doctor has mentioned how well my blood pressure looks! Also I monitor it myself at home with a blood pressure cuff so I know it's fine.

So..... Should I mention it tomorrow? They've done labs before and never noticed I wasn't taking it. I guess I felt ashamed to mention before because I didn't consult with my doctor first. Will doctor be mad?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AuntieM
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:38 AM
You should tell him. They need to know all medications you're taking or have stopped taking in case they have to prescribe a something.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Ok thanks. Do I have to tell how long ago I quit taking it?

Quoting AuntieM:

You should tell him. They need to know all medications you're taking or have stopped taking in case they have to prescribe a something.

AuntieM
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:40 AM
I would. Especially if it's been good since you stopped.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AuntieM:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Thanks

Quoting AuntieM:

I would. Especially if it's been good since you stopped.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AuntieM:

TheDrsRose
by Badโ™ฅWolf on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:45 AM
They need to know incase some thing were to happen and you aren't available to tell them. Think car crash or coma. He will probably be delighted.
GwenGray
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:49 AM

it's important for your doctor to know EVERY med that you are on, especially if you stopped taking them. Because if they put you on another med that is supposed to help the one that you are no longer taking, it could have a deadly effect on you, or absolutely no effect at all, maybe even some of the worse effects next to death. You never know. So it's very important that they do know. And btw the reason they didn't detect it in your last blood draw is because they don't check for it. 

OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Why did you stop taking it in the first place? 

Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM

i would. they diagnosed me with lupus and about a year after the diagnosis i stopped taking my meds.....didnt tell my doctor for 6 months and one day he mentioned how well it was managed and i said yeah about that.....i havente been on meds for over 6 months.

and i havente been for almost 10 years now. and if you know anything about lupus you are suppose to be on the meds even in remission.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:52 AM
It made me very sick and brought my blood pressure down too low. So I weaned off and feel so much better now. I've lost weight and I can guarantee that's helped my blood pressure. Not kidding when I mentioned they've been impressed with my blood pressure since I quit taking it.

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

Why did you stop taking it in the first place? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Wow I did not know about that. I'm sorry you have that.

Quoting Amiehart62:

i would. they diagnosed me with lupus and about a year after the diagnosis i stopped taking my meds.....didnt tell my doctor for 6 months and one day he mentioned how well it was managed and i said yeah about that.....i havente been on meds for over 6 months.

and i havente been for almost 10 years now. and if you know anything about lupus you are suppose to be on the meds even in remission.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN