Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cops shoot and kill a 13 year old holding a fake rifle :( **saw pics the rifle looks too real. **pic of boy on pg 3**

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:36 AM
  • 78 Replies
1 mom liked this

It's so sad

13 year old was walking in his neighborhood with a fake rifle, like a toy gun or replica, the cops told him to drop the weapon, he didn't drop it, they shot and killed him.

:(

Although I feel absolutely terrible for the family I could see how a very realistic looking replica or toy can put fear in an officers eyes.  None the less, I just wish they would have tazed him or hopefully at least warned him that shots will be fired.

Just a bit about my town, Northern California, it's a very safe place to live.  The police out here are all young unseasoned cops, a few vets, but mostly new cops before they get transferred out.  We have a police academy in the city so far too often, in this county, people get shot for not reason, or what I would think, shot too soon when they could have been tazed

One incident where in the next city over they shot a man who was pulling out his cell phone

Another incident where someone had a knife in their hand

I just feel like, if you gave warning, it wasn't aimed, and you are still back by your car, can't you just freaking shoot the taze gun?  Damn

Both cops who shot the boy, yes both fired rounds, are put on administrative leave, and because this is a growing problem the Sherrif's got involved and the other cities police officers, who don't have incidences like this are investigating.  

***These cops had the audacity to handcuff him as he lay there in a pool of blood, dead.  WTF?

3rd killing by the police in 24 hours.

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GeekyMommyKate
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:40 AM
That is so sad... :(

Luckily, my town is *pretty* quiet.
We do have an unusual number of suicides, though...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:41 AM
2 moms liked this

He should have dropped the gun. It was probably one of those airsoft guns that looks real. Yeah I feel bad for the family but he should have dropped it. The cops were doing what they thought was right and protecting themselves and anyone they thought he may have been after. And tazers will not work on an armed person. Your muscles tense up when you are electrocuted so if he had his finger on the trigger he would have fired a shot/shots if it was an automatic rifle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:42 AM
It's easy to judge when it's not your life that could end in a split second. Plus you have no idea if he was warned. You weren't there
TaughtTot
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Either way, these police are so young and trigger happy, it's really shameful.  Not only that we have so many police, so freaking many because of illegal marijuana growth, not only that we have Sherrifs.  Sherrifs haven't killed anyone in a LONG time, city police, body count is at 3 and all could have been avoided. until the gun was starting to move upward they should have waited, the boy was probably scared out of his mind and got nervous. 

Quoting Anonymous:

He should have dropped the gun. It was probably one of those airsoft guns that looks real. Yeah I feel bad for the family but he should have dropped it. The cops were doing what they thought was right and protecting themselves and anyone they thought he may have been after. And tazers will not work on an armed person. Your muscles tense up when you are electrocuted so if he had his finger on the trigger he would have fired a shot/shots if it was an automatic rifle.

OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:44 AM

OP said: I just feel like, if you gave warning, it wasn't aimed, and you are still back by your car, can't you just freaking shoot the taze gun?  Damn

If they told him to drop the gun more than once and he didn't then they were right to shoot him. Very very rarely do police shot and kill someone without telling them to drop a weapon several times. Maybe the boy got nervous and confused and that is why he didn't drop it. Now that the poor kid is dead, we'll never know what he was thinking.

It is very tragic and my heart goes out to the family of the boy. 

TaughtTot
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Statments from people outside, it was in the middle of a neighborhood, people saw.  Thanks though.

I presume the dash cam will confirm their statements. 

I'm not judging, it's a known thing around here that the police are trigger happy. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's easy to judge when it's not your life that could end in a split second. Plus you have no idea if he was warned. You weren't there

TaughtTot
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:47 AM

I bet he got nervous.

I work with teens age 12-17 in a group home so I look at the teens around here like they are extensions of my family.  I know most of them and they come to my job when they are having hard times at home, etc etc.  

idk idk

It is being investigated, no one is completely mad at the police, but it has happened so many times in the past where the weapon turns out to be nothing but a toy, or like I said in another pose, a cell phone. 

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

OP said: I just feel like, if you gave warning, it wasn't aimed, and you are still back by your car, can't you just freaking shoot the taze gun?  Damn

If they told him to drop the gun more than once and he didn't then they were right to shot him. Very very rarely do police shot and kill someone without telling them to drop a weapon several times. Maybe the boy got nervous and confused and that is why he didn't drop it. Now that the poor kid is dead, we'll never know what he was thinking.

It is very tragic and my heart goes out to the family of the boy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:48 AM
We live in a small country town. The teenage boys 13-18 have pellet wars up at the park all the time. I couldn't imagine this happening. Then again all the boys have very fake looking guns.
New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:50 AM
I understand what you're saying, but agree with the pp. it could have been rookies or vets. He didn't listen. No one knows that the teen was thinking what gestures were made (if any). If 2 officers shot chances are something provoked it. It could have been avoided if he would have dropped the gun. Do you know for a fact the gun never moved?

Quoting TaughtTot:

Either way, these police are so young and trigger happy, it's really shameful.  Not only that we have so many police, so freaking many because of illegal marijuana growth, not only that we have Sherrifs.  Sherrifs haven't killed anyone in a LONG time, city police, body count is at 3 and all could have been avoided. until the gun was starting to move upward they should have waited, the boy was probably scared out of his mind and got nervous. 

Quoting Anonymous:

TaughtTot
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:50 AM

I'm spelling Sheriff wrong this whole time smh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)