Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you have your kids arrested for throwing a party when you weren't home?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 132 Replies

Parents Have Their Kids Arrested for Throwing a Party When They Weren't Home

by Jacqueline Burt

keg partyIt's the stuff sitcoms are made of: Parents unexpectedly returning home from a trip a day early to find their house has been hijacked by partying teens. As with most clich├ęs, though, this kind of thing actually happens fairly often. Just ask the Connecticut mom and dad who -- you guessed it -- recently returned home from a trip a day early to find that their two daughters, ages 15 and 16, decided to throw a raging keg party in their absence. Couldn't have been toooo much of a surprise, right? 

Except what happened next was most likely a HUGE surprise to those aforementioned party-loving daughters.

Instead of their parents grounding them for life (after kicking everybody around the house, of course), this particular set of parents called the cops ... and had their own kids arrested!! The girls were arrested and charged with "permitting a minor to possess alcohol;" an officer called the parents' rather bold disciplinary move "the right thing to do."

Hmm. The right thing to do? I'm not entirely sure about that, personally. On the one hand, these girls will probably never throw a keg party for a bunch of underage pals again. So, in that sense, disciplinary mission accomplished, parents! On the other hand, this little incident is now on record. Their mugshots will be floating around on the internet forever. Is that really something you want to saddle your kid with, especially right around college application time? I mean, sure, way to drive home the point about actions having consequences and whatnot, but is it really in anybody's best interest to get the law involved in a case like this?

I don't know, maybe I'm just a parental pushover (okay, definitely), but I just can't see giving my kid such a big, official strike against her when she's just starting out in life. Maybe, like, the 5th time she pulled something like this -- but not the first.

Would you have your kids arrested for throwing a party when you weren't home?

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2teens2LOs
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

nah, but they would clean the house and not be home alone for a VERY long time!  I just now leave my 18 yr old home alone overnight lol kids are kids... while the cats away the mice WILL play, even in the most trustworthy, they are still kids and shouldn't be in the position for something like this to happen. 

Ryanswifey42012
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Arrested, no. Grounded, YES!
katemckenzie
by Kate on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM
3 moms liked this
They're minors... In Michigan all juvenille records are sealed and mugshots aren't released to the public unless parents authorize it.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM
No
katzmeow726
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM
5 moms liked this

Arrested? NO.  But in all honesty, when I finish, they will probably wish I had decided to arrest them. 

blue-heart
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
They are minors. Their mugshots won't be released and once they turn 18 their records are sealed. Its not going to ruin their lives.
couture-mommy
by She.Me.Her on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes, yes I would
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Probably not. However, we don't know if there is a history of bad behavior with these girls.
Closet_Case
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Hell yeah, they want to be sneaky after rules have been made AND bring underage drinking into the home then they'll feel the full consequences!!
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
If son had done this before and our punishments has not work yes we would call the cops. If this was the first time it happened no but he would have some major punishments happening.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN