Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I stopped going to the cemetery.

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

It's been 2 years since my grandparents were buried.  They raised me and were more like parents to me, I love them dearly.

At first I went every couple days.  Then on weekends, then every once in a while.

I realized I haven't actually been since spring.  I will be going on Rememberance Day.  Both my grandparents were in the war, got married in uniform and loved the army.  Both have multiple medals and always made a point to go to Rememberence Day events.  

So I thought it would be a good day to go.

Is it normal to stop going to the cemetery?  Or am I bad for not going as much? I feel a bit guilty, but it's normal to move on right?

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Yes its normal.
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

There is nothing wrong with moving on with your life. It doesn't mean you don't still love and miss your grandparents just as much. You just are able to deal with it better now.

IndigoRose
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Don't feel guilty.  It's normal.  Life goes on.  You will still love your grandparents,- always.  They understand.

Sinistercookie
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it's normal. I have never been one to go to cemeteries in the first place though.My loved ones who have passed are always in my heart.I feel like I dont have to go see a pile of dirt just to be close to them.IMO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Of course it's normal to move on. Try not to feel guilty, they know you think about them often and love them. They would want you to be happy and moving on with your life. I wish I could visit my grandparents but they are buried so far away, I haven't been to the cemetary in close to 10 years :( But I talk to them everyday and that makes me feel better.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM
It's normal.

My DH won't go to any cemetery. Nor will he watch anyone be lowered into the ground.
Ricanmami88
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM
That is fascinating that both were in the army :) it's ok if you only go once or so.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Dh and I only go on veterans day. We do not believe in visiting the dead.
Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I have only been to the cemetary twice since my Granny passed away and that was 13yrs ago. My mom has only stepped foot in that cemetary the day she was buried. She hasn't been back since then.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM

It is normal to move on and not feel the need to go to cemetary regularly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)