Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is he eating okay? Or should I force him?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

My ds 3 loves fruit & veggies. He never gives any trouble eating them & prefers them at meal time. He doesn't really care for meat. Occasionally I can get him to eat an all beef hot dog or baked chicken but mostly he just wants quick foods. THis is his typical meal schedule:

Breakfast: Cheerios or pancakes with fresh fruit (apples or berries)

Snack: Carrot sticks, string cheese or crackers.

Lunch: Grilled cheese, mac & cheese, rarely chicken nuggets or a lunchable. Any of those with a side of steamed veggies

Snack: Fruit snack, apple sauce, or crackers

Dinner: Basically same as lunch, he does like fish so I give him that once or twice a week. Sometimes he eats a hot dog or plain baked chicken. With a side of steamed veggies & brown rice or noodles or sweet potatoes.

He drinks water with a little apple juice in it & milk. 

Dh says he needs to eat the things like we do, like lasagna, meatloaf, pork chops & whatnot. Do you think he is alright or should I make him eat the other stuff?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I never force feed my kids. They can only control a few things in their lives at this age and what they eat is one of them. As long as your child is healthy and growing like they are supposed to then I wouldn't force it. I would however offer meat with every meal and ask him to try it. If he chooses not too then there would be no snacks/treats. At least that's how we do it at our house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM
He's fine. It's actually pretty normal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I would offer it to him or try to get him to try Atleast a bite.
SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Sounds pretty normal
Tammywhynot
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Id just put a little on his plate and see if he likes it, try him with everything and anything my 2 year old dd loves curry and rice or a chilli cant get her to eat peas though....lol they still go on her plate though.
wonderstruck11
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM
You can't force him to eat anything. He is eating fine already! Be happy that he loves fruits and veggies so much, my DD is the same way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM

He is doing great. I would keep on doing what you are doing. 

allycally
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM
That's more than my 5 year old eats he thinks everything is yucky
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

He will try things but he will only have a bite or two & decide he does not care for it.. I made him green eggs and ham ( one of his favorite books) he had a few pieces of ham but asked if he could just eat his eggs & fruit. He is a healthy boy.  Very tall & thin, off of the growth chart at the pedi. 

Quoting sarah824:

I never force feed my kids. They can only control a few things in their lives at this age and what they eat is one of them. As long as your child is healthy and growing like they are supposed to then I wouldn't force it. I would however offer meat with every meal and ask him to try it. If he chooses not too then there would be no snacks/treats. At least that's how we do it at our house.

lacyleanne
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I never force my son to eat. With that being said, whatever I place infront of him is what he's getting. I tell him to at least try it and if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to eat it. Most of the time he will eat it once he's tried it. But if he doesn't then I don't make him eat it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN