Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a bad mom because I ate a Listeria laced sandwich.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm seventeen weeks pregnant. When I first found out, I got the whole spiel about what I can and cannot eat. Lunch meat was on the list.

I've tried very hard to avoid everything on the list, but every time I drive past Subway I want to get a sandwich so bad. Yesterday, I gave in and got a sandwich.

I got to work and one of my coworkers started going on about how pregnant women aren't supposed to eat lunch meat and I was a bad mom for eating something that could contain harmful Listeria.

Did you do/eat anything that you weren't supposed to while pregnant?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Replies (61-70):
Armadillo79
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I hated the crazies who thought it was their business wtf I did while pregnant. I got GRILLED by my best friend because I posted on FB how I got my fountain diet coke from McDonalds (I hate diet coke now that I am not pregnant) she GRILLED me. I was so pissed. Like STFU. I ate lunch meat, drank diet coke, ate hotdogs, tuna, sushi sometimes, coffee, people can STFU. It drives me crazy. Oh and my son is just fine. He's 5 months.

UnFFnStoppable4
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM
I ate lunchmeat all the time. I had sushi a few times.

If you're that worried and like Subway so much, next time get it toasted.
BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM
I ate subway everyday when I was pregnant!
motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I didn't even know that I wasn't supposed to eat lunch meat until my last pregnancy. Did you have the sandwich toasted? If they toast it (I think) it should kill any bacteria in the meat, just like cooking.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM

eh coffee, lunchmeat and other things

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM
I ate subway a lot when I was pregnant
LivysMama
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I ate my usual and didn't take a prenatal. Yep. You're dealin' with a badass over here.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM
I want a sandwich so bad! My husband gets all bent out of shape when I make sandwiches. I do heat the meat up, but I want a cold sandwich.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:52 PM

If it was heated the listeria isn't an issue.

I ate lunchmeat when I was pregnant and I didn't heat it. :/

omm76002
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Then what is the issue? People get their panties in a bunch too much! And i only get the chicken bacon ranch sub so mine is always heated. I never really had an issue with what i could and couldn't eat for safety. I was so sick with both pregnancys i lived off French fries and milkshakes. My ob said it was fine, because with both pregnancys i lost so much weight i was at my starting weight when i gave birth! Lol heck i threw up water :-/

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

Heated to steaming, didnt type it out in full.  Basically if the meat is steaming all bacteria is killed. No subway doesn't heat all sandwiches.  Hubby gets cold ones all the time.  It's a low risk but if OP really wants a sandwich she can make it herself at home and be totally fine.  Listeria isn't just in lunch eat either, the last outbreak was in melons I think?

Quoting omm76002:

Thought it was safe if the meat was heated not steamed. And doesn't subway heat all sandwiches?

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

You can eat lunch meat if you steam it first.  You won't know if you ate listeria yet, too early since eating it to get sick.  There is an outbreak currently though in meat, not sure if lunch meat is included.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)