Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can They Fire Me For This?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies
So, my whole world came tumbling down yesterday evening. It seems when you finally get ahead, you get thrown 10 steps back.

So I am a single mom to a special needs child. She has doctors appointments twice a month that are two hours away. I started a job a month and a half ago. It was part time and they knew from the beginning that my dd was special needs, and had these appointments. They were fine with it, and just said to schedule those appointments for wednesdays, and that would just be my day off during the week.

Onto the next issue. Out of nowhere I developed an infection in my tooth, which led to my bone structure by my sinuses. On my day off I went to the dentist and had a root canal done. I found out then that the infection was very bad, and it had even eaten away some of my bone. The dentist couldn't finish the root canal because the infection was so bad and it needed to continue to drain. I had a huge lump in my mouth above the tooth kinda under my nose. I had been on antibiotics but they weren't working.

24 hours later I woke up in the middle of the night with a fever, vomiting, shaking uncontrollably, foggy brained, and imense pain in my face and mouth. The oncall doctor (as well as you lovely ladies said to go to the ER). So I did. Turned out I had the early stage of sepsis. They ended up admitting me and giving me tons of IV antibiotics. They said its good I came in because if I would have waited I could have died.

So because of all of that, I ended up missing 3 days of work. I hated calling in, but I really had no other option. I can't just ignore it and then put myself in jeopardy of dying. Lol Well, I went to work yesterday. I worked a full day. Nothing outta the norm. I tried to give my manager my documentation from the hospital/doctors excuses and she said she didn't need them. I asked her if she was sure, and she said yes. I thought that was odd.

So yesterday evening my work called me. It was my manager and she told me that the GM of the store talked to her today and told her that she had to call me and let me go. That because of my dd doctors appointments 2 times a month (on my days off), and because I was in the hospital. That they needed someone reliable. I never got any warnings, I tried to give them my doctors excuse/hospital documentation. I have never been late. I had gone in before on my day off a couple times, I had even went in sick with a nasty head cold and the beginning of the tooth infection and in tons of pain.

I'm not one to call in for willy nilly things. I had no choice to call in when I had sepsis.

Now I know someone will ask, I am in Wisconsin. We are an At Will state, HOWEVER there is a clause in the law that I found out from a friend who is in HR that says you can not get fired for having a doctors excuse. Which I tried giving them twice.

I'm just really upset because I have bills to pay, not to mention a $1000 dental bill, hospital bill, and the holidays are right around the corner.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM
4 moms liked this

At will states are hard but if there is a clause int he law there I would try to fight the termination but then do you really want to work for people who are such jerks? Go to the state Dept. of Labor and see if they can help you find another job- they offer career counseling and resume help too. Good luck mama!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

it more depends on the wording they used in the application you signed, or any paperwork they had you sign at orientation.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I don't think they can fire you for medical reasons. They can however fire you over any kind of bullshit reason they can come up with. Good luck to you mama! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

IDK. Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I would be fighting that shit. They can't fire you over that!!!

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Generally, within the first 90 days you can be terminated without cause.

CafeMom Tickers
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Where do your work? Is FMLA a possibility? Doctor's excuses are typically turned in so that the reason for the absence is noted, but it can still be deemed unexcused if it wasn't planned ahead of time. Good luck!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

IDK. Bump

SyllabaryBisque
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM
I would say this is probably correct.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Generally, within the first 90 days you can be terminated without cause.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
If you are under 90 days, most states can fire you for whatever reason, even medical. It is called the probationary period.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)