Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Step children and holidays?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Dh's daughter is 12 years old. She will be 13 year old Feburary 7th. She told dh that every year for halloween she goes trick or treating with her friend at her grandma's house. knowing this we went ahead and made plans to take the boys to my mom's house and trick or treat around her neighborhood like we do every year. Well last night dh called his daughter up to see what she was doing and find out how her week was going. She asked if she could spend halloween with us this year. Dh told her we'd talk about it this weekend when she came over.

Halloween this year falls on a school night. Dh's daughter lives a good 30 minutes or more away depending on traffic. She doesn't get out of school until 3:45pm. By the time she gets home it's almost 4pm. If you figure in driving time he wouldn't get home from picking her up until 5:30pm. By the time she ate dinner and got her costume on it would be around 6pm. That would only leave about 45 minutes or so to trick or treat before we had to get ready to leave to drive her home. She would need time to do homework, take a shower and whatever else she does to get ready for school. to me 45 minutes to trick or treat doesn't seem like enough time. We like to take the kids up to fritz's for an ice cream cone because everyone who shows up in costume gets a free ice cream cone. how would we have time to do all of that in 45 minutes?

I don't want to sound like a big but. I always encourage dh to spend time with his daughter. it's just that we don't take his daughter on the week days because she has school and there really isn't enough time to pick her up and do something before we have to turn right around and take her home. What would you do?  

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
Rachael-Dawn
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Oooor your dh could pick her up from school and feed her on the way home and you would have more time.
HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM
We usually do about 30-60 mins. Also, you could pick her up from school and have a lot more time, have dinner ready early, do sandwiches on the go, have her get ready for school Friday before, shower at your house and sleep in the car... There are a lot of ways you could make it work if you really wanted to
darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Pick her up at 4 when she gets home. 30 minute drive is only 430. A quick meal and easy costumes. There is plenty if time for her to trick or treat and ice cream.

She can do homework on the car ride.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Tell her to put on her costume as soon as she gets home, he can be there at 4pm to pick her up, give her dinner in the car, he would get back at 4:30pm and you'd have from then on to go trick or treating, you'd have over two hours of trick or treating. It wouldn't be so hard to make it work. I don't think a free ice cream come is worth trading your stepdaughter getting to be with her dad for once for halloween. 

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM
You are making this harder than it has to be.

Pick her up from school
Eat dinner from the drive thru
Homework in the 30 minute drive
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Being allowed to wear your costume varies from school to school.

Quoting onaflowers:

She should be wearing a costume at school and you could stop for a cheeseburger on the way home. I don't see the big time crunch.

nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM

We always drive 30 minutes to trick-or-treat in my Gramma's town, and if I got off work at the regular time (5:00) it would be a time crunch because my Gramma actually lives on the other side of the timezone line, so she's in Central and we're in Mountain - meaning it's an hour later there. If I left work at my regular time, after picking up my kids and having dinner, we wouldn't make it until 7:00 Central time which is too late.

I know by now that I need to plan ahead and request to leave work early on Halloween so I can get my kids picked up and over to Gramma's for trick-or-treat. I find a way to make it work. I guess I would recommend you do the same...find a way to make an adjustment so you can fit everything in. It's not fun, but it's part of being a parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM
She can quickly get dressed right when she gets home, or her father can pick her up at school (get off work a little bit early if necssary for a special occasion). Your dh can stop and get her something quick to eat, you all go trick or treating, she can go home and skip a shower for one night or take a shower and get to bed a few minutes later then usual if necessary. I don't see how something cannot be worked out. I think your making a mountain out of mole hill.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:45 PM
That's ridiculous lol.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

I'm driving an hour and half to go trick or treating in the neighborhood we went to for years.

xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Have her get her costume on right when she gets home from school. Does she have to take a shower? My kids bathe/shower every other night, I'm sure missing one shower isn't going to hurt her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)