Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Step children and holidays?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Dh's daughter is 12 years old. She will be 13 year old Feburary 7th. She told dh that every year for halloween she goes trick or treating with her friend at her grandma's house. knowing this we went ahead and made plans to take the boys to my mom's house and trick or treat around her neighborhood like we do every year. Well last night dh called his daughter up to see what she was doing and find out how her week was going. She asked if she could spend halloween with us this year. Dh told her we'd talk about it this weekend when she came over.

Halloween this year falls on a school night. Dh's daughter lives a good 30 minutes or more away depending on traffic. She doesn't get out of school until 3:45pm. By the time she gets home it's almost 4pm. If you figure in driving time he wouldn't get home from picking her up until 5:30pm. By the time she ate dinner and got her costume on it would be around 6pm. That would only leave about 45 minutes or so to trick or treat before we had to get ready to leave to drive her home. She would need time to do homework, take a shower and whatever else she does to get ready for school. to me 45 minutes to trick or treat doesn't seem like enough time. We like to take the kids up to fritz's for an ice cream cone because everyone who shows up in costume gets a free ice cream cone. how would we have time to do all of that in 45 minutes?

I don't want to sound like a big but. I always encourage dh to spend time with his daughter. it's just that we don't take his daughter on the week days because she has school and there really isn't enough time to pick her up and do something before we have to turn right around and take her home. What would you do?  

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Replies (21-28):
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Oh, it's worth it! She will get plenty of candy and dinner. There is a house that grills hot dogs and gives out leminade as well as candy. It's an awesome neighborhood for trick or treating. There are so many houses that are decorated and it is just a lot of fun. They barely acknowledge Halloween where we live now. Besides, the Oyster Festival starts the next day, so the kids don't have school.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's ridiculous lol.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

I'm driving an hour and half to go trick or treating in the neighborhood we went to for years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Dh can't pick her up at school because he is currently working an hour and and forty-five minutes away. There is no way he could get off early to make it in time to pick her up from school. He will be leaving from work and picking her up. So realistically he will be making it home around 5:30pm. Before we head out trick or treating we need to eat dinner. Dh and I will not grab a burger or take out on the way to drop her off. We don't eat fast food. Dh is a stickler about bedtime on school nights. Keeping her out later is not going to happen even if it is a holiday. her mom is also a stickler. She usually texts us two or three times just to ask what time we are bringing her back or what we are doing.

I'm sure we will make it work though!
egrzesik91
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM

It sounds like you are adding up excuses so she can't be there trick or treating with you guys. I keep my daughter out on Halloween as we do special stuff all day. 

Another thing-why do people always ask why is YOUR child out trick or treating so late? Uhh lady, it's 7:30pm and NOT late..... geesh people nowadays. I am 22 and when I was younger we could stay out til ten on a school night. Stipulation was we couldn't miss the next day or next year we would be in earlier.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Geez keep her overnight. U sound like u don't want her around
Sarahb21
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I would pick her up. We get my SS every other year on halloween. He lives an hour away. We make it work so we can have our family together on a holiday. You're being selfish by thinking only of yourself and your wants. There are too many people out there that would kill to have their kids extra days, don't make your DH turn down his chance to spend more time with his daughter.

macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I would make it happen. Maybe the last time your dh gets to go t or ting with his dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
invisibleme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like your making excuses. Its a once a year event. It won't hurt for her or your kids to get home late.
Seagodess
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM
I say pick her up at school, have some food ready for her to eat on the way and put her costume on when you get to your moms.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)