Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DSD can't do anything for herself

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

I have a eight year old sd and I love her more than anything, just as much as I love my 3yr old biological daughter, but her mother has made her into such a baby. She doesnt know how to tie her shoes, she doesnt even know which shoe goes on which foot. She doesn't know how to ride a bike, can't swim, doesnt know how to wash her body in the tub i have to tell her step-by-step instructions. She refuses to make her own plate and she only likes to eat mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, bread, strawberries, and of course all manner of fast food and junk that you could imagine.

I have tried and worked so hard with her to help her gain some measure of independence but I feel like I keep going backwards. For example today she came over after school (we live in the same neighborhood as dsd and her mom) and she asked me for something to drink, I asked her if she would like water and she nodded. I had her go get a plastic cup (they are on a easily accessible shelf in the pantry) and then showed her how to get water from the fridge door. She was so excited that she did it herself but then she told me that her mom doesnt let her do it because she might get hurt. To clarify we have a fridge that has an ice machine and filtered water on the door. So she's not opening any doors or lifting any heavy objects.

Last weekend when she was here we went to my nephews football game and the entire time she was crying over a stalk of grass touching her and no I am NOT exaggerating. Her mom carries her everywhere. When she came to get her she carried her to the car and put her in, she says at home she isnt allowed to walk on the tile.

What the hell. How does her mom expect her to grow up when they treat her like she's an infant. Hell our three year old can do more than she can!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Wow. That's all I can say.

Though, I did learn to ride a bike when I was 10, and I learned to swim when I was 14.
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM

how sad for the child

AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Woah. That's insane.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Quoting HistoryNutty:

Wow. That's all I can say.

Though, I did learn to ride a bike when I was 10, and I learned to swim when I was 14.

Oh I know it can be normal but I just cant get why her mom wouldnt let her have fun like this. Seriously, my husband has approached the subject many times, after all he is her father, and she just wont listen.

We have a bike with training wheels here and I have taken her in our pool and she only wanted to stay in the hot tub where there was barely any water.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

Woah. That's insane.

It is more than insane. Her mother still washes her in the bathtub and washes her hair for her, her mother stands over her as she brushes her teeth with baby toothpaste. No I am not kidding she uses the training toothpaste.

She's 8 YEARS OLD not 8 months old!

MommyofDestiny
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Ummm out of all that all I have to say is my 9 yr old dd can't tie her shoes either. I've been working with her since she was 4 but has zero interest in learning and ignores me. So I let it go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Honestly is sounds more like a developmental issue than just being babied. Being babied may be contributing to it though.
Anonymous
Honestly is sounds more like a developmental issue than just being babied. Being babied may be contributing to it though.
Anonymous
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:43 PM

She sounds like she has sensory issues.  I'd get it checked out before jumping to any conclusions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)